Sunday, November 01, 2009

I'm Old




PLEASE tell me that you remember this song. Otherwise I'll just die.

I was sitting in the kitchen eating some crab legs just a few minutes ago while importing new music into my iTunes from a couple of old CDs I hadn't heard in a while. So I threw in this CD from that music video show we used to watch back in the day called The Box to see what kind of music was on it. What I found were Warren G's "Regulate", B.I.G.'s "Juicy", Craig Mack's "Flava In Ya Ear" and Patra's "Romantic Call" just to name a few. Remembering how much I used to love "Romantic Call" I skipped over to it, all excited like, and started to groove to the reggae beat. My sister who was enjoying some of my crab legs didn't seem to clue into the song. I just figured she would remember once we got the chorus... "I'm on a romantic call...I'm talking to my baby..." but instead, she looked at me with a blank face. My expression dropped. "You don't know this song?!" I asked her quietly, fearing the response. She replied that she didn't and at that very moment, I put the palm of my hand up to my forehead (didn't want to get crab juice all over my face) and closed my eyes while a wave of "J, you're old" and "you're officially over the hill" and "you sound like your parents" phrases flashed before my eyes.

So now I'm back and in my room and I can not BELIEVE that my sister, who is only three and a half years younger than me, does not know Patra and Yo-Yo's "Romantic Call"!!!!! If my boyfriend, who happens to be my young tenderoni, does not know this song either, I think this just might become the worst day of my life.

2 comments:

Jenn Will said...

Well if it makes you feel better I'm older then you and don't recall the song. So I think its less about the age of the song and more about the obscurity of it. Although Tupac is in it!

Chantel said...

Oh my goodness how do they not know this song?!?!? I'm 26 and Patra was around for a decent amount of time when I was younger. I clearly remember her being on In Living Color. I know how you feel no one rembers The Boys when I mention them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails