Tuesday, December 12, 2006

No Words

I know I'm about to get hounded on this one but I hate "We Fly High (Ballin')".

I just happened to turn on BET's 106th & Park for the first time in a while, which was my first mistake, but I forced myself to sit through it (my second mistake) because... well... actually, I don't know why. I guess I was just curious because I haven't seen videos in a while. But sitting there watching our very own tv station pour through video after video of crazy thick woman bouncing their booties and titties in the camera, dudes swinging insane amounts of money from their necks in the form of bling, musicians displaying their means of wealth through superficial crap such as cars and clothes, and simple-minded humans pretending like they're the God's gift to the human race, seriously made me want to throw up! Can someone please explain something to me? Who looks at these people and says, "Oooo! He got diamonds on his neck, wrist AND pinky!! I WANT HIM!!" Help me out because I just don't get it. Is that attractive?! I mean, what does that really mean? Why would you do that? Why would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars just to show your wealth around your neck?!!! Who told them that was "cool"?!! Maybe I'm not understand something about the hip hop culture or something? Does this whole bling business mean that we've made it? Did the white man take away our diamond chains back in slavery times and we're doing our best to re-claim what was stolen? I just don't understand. Somebody PLEASE explain it to me.

But anyway, I digress. Actually no. I didn't digress. It's the perfect segue way to Jim Jones and his arrogant a$$ song. So he came onto 106 to present the remix to his all-time infamous song. But before I get into the video, how are you going to sport all these diamonds in the face of your belt and then have your dirty heather grey fruit-of-the-loom draws sitting up next to your "bling" like that? Pull up your pants fool!!! You want someone to be impressed but how are we going to do that when we're forced to look at the same draws that brotha man from the fif' flo had on! I'ma go ahead and call that a fashion oxymoron. That's like filling a Tiffany's ring box with a bunch of little turds! I'ma need you to lay those diamonds against a crisp white shirt or a tucked in $250 t-shirt or a grown and sexy blazer sweetie. What sense does that make?

Anyway, if you happened to be as enraged as I am about this whole BET/video/Bling Bling issue, than you'll feel me on this Jim Jones video. Why are these fools (Diddy, Young Dro, T.I., Santana, and Jim Jones) running around like some children throwing ridiculous amounts of money into the air!? No. I'm not talking about the amount of money that we normally see in videos. One simple roll of hundreds being tossed at the camera...Nah homie. What I saw was CRAZY. Among other over the top things, I can't figure out what really got to me the most. Was is when one of them fools kicked a mountain of cash into the camera or was it when they took a box full of money and dumped it over Diddy's head or could it have been when they went on to play paper, rock, scissors and the winner was awarded with a freakin wad of money!? You know what though? It wasn't so much the money that was the problem... NAH. It was definitely the money. I think what made it worse was their attitudes. Their stank, arrogant, conceited attitudes. I hated it. And now I hate everything that the song stands for. And now, like Daneger said in his most recent post, I hate Dipset. "I hate dipset and all things related to such detriments to society." WORD!


Other Observations:
1. Are we in the hoody era or something? All of a sudden everyone's wearing crystalized hoodies!
2. Is it me or does it seem like Snoop has about 4 songs out right now?
3. Would you watch if Beyonce/Fergie/The Pussycat Dolls/Ciara/Janet weren't winding and grinding in scantily clad ensembles?
4. Is Tyrese...oh excuse me...Black Ty really rapping? Is he for real?
5. If you could predict the next hip hop fashion trend, what would it be?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm feeling this right here JAC...I don't even watch videos, I hate everything that Jim Jones stands for. Hell I don't even listen to rap anymore, when you got garbage like laffy taffy and chain hang low that is supposed to be hot in the streets..whatever

lemme answer you questions..

1. Trends. What can I really say?
2. I just wish Snoop could go back to his Chronic and Doggystyle days. But that would never happen.
3. I would watch Beyonce or Ciara if they were just sleeping! LOL..sorry
4. He's the best rapper since K-Fed (gasp)
5. Something goofy like off color laces in your shoes

Unknown said...

Jendi, Dane is going to love this one. He hates everything Dipset related (LOL).

"Who looks at these people and says, "Oooo! He got diamonds on his neck, wrist AND pinky!! I WANT HIM!!" More people than you would think, I bet.

Though I agree with everything you said about Jim Jones and his style of dress and the bling bling in hip-hop, I actually like We Flyy High. Not because of it's lyrics. Not because it's a good song. But because it's catchy. To me, it's just a song. Not a lifestyle or a way to act in public, private, or anywhere else. It's just entertainment/music. Because Jim Jones doesn't talk about anything worthwhile or serious, I don't take his music seriously.

Nas on the other hand, I take seriously. Jay-Z, I take seriously. But Jim Jones, Jeezy, and all these other rap artists (not to be confused with hip-hop artists) are not to be taken seriously, just as a form of entertainment that you can either find entertaining or not. And you know I think the money throwing thing is just stupid.

1. Right now the hoodie thing is in. Whether it's a Bathing Ape joint or some other hoodie with fake diamonds on it, that's where hip-hop fashion is right now.

2. Snoop is getting some serious promotion for another same ole snoop album.

3. I don't watch none of them anyway.

4. Black Ty does have one alright song though...Unfortunately, it's on Chingy's CD and he's singing on it ("Pulling Me Back").

5. Whatever Jay-Z did a month ago.

Anonymous said...

See that's the thing, I don't think that THAT mess is HIP HOP, that's what I think Monnie love and Nas and all others have been saying HIP HOP is dead...true hip hop is about the struggle, or it tells a story (street life, racism, sex, drugs, whatever) it tells a story, has some type of purpose behind it...its a reflection of society or what is going on in OUR world...

HIP HOP is more than bling, hoodies, cars, clothes, and hoes...HIP HOP is about everyday life, the streets, the struggle, the racism, the hustle...EVERYTHING...HIP HOP is something I can boob my head to and relate to...something I can feel and "get"...I can't feel this, I don't get this...this is nothing...further more...HIP HOP is a display of lyrical and word play skills and rhyming ability...
Dipset...has NONE...PERIOD!

That mess right there ain't HIP HOP...that's some grown freaking men running around like little freaking boys or males, who act like they ain't never had NOTHING before in their lives...

That's why folks like Jay and Nas and the Roots and Common can't go anywhere because they can't just turn it "over" to these young cats in the game...

"we don't believe you, you need more people"

They put all of their worth into material things that depresiate in value...they influence these other males out here making them think that stuff is cool...

But oh wait...it ain't just the males, we got these females out here doing the same thing...shaking they titties and assests (because that's all that they have of value, IN THEIR MINDS anyway) and using what "they got to get what they want"....hence, further pushing us down the human food chain of respect and dignity...

All of this mess is ignorant...you should check electrik's rants about BET...their programming is the WORSE it SUCKS big time...there is no level of consciousness or nothing positive for me to watch...hence I don't watch it...I don't watch 106 & Park...last time I did was when Jay was on there and it was 106 & Jay...

I don't know man...I feel you, I feel everything you are saying...

Oh, and I do wish folks would get it together and stop rocking hoodies, I have been doing the hoodie thing since the 90s (TRUE STORY) they need a new fade

oh sorry to do a post in your blog comments, but this got me hype early this Wednesday morning

Anonymous said...

JAC,
Mike was right I do love this post ;-)
I think that I understand where Mike comes from as far as seeing things as just entertainment but when it comes to Dipset, Young Jeezy, Young Dro, Rick Ross, and a list of others I don't even see the entertainment value. I can be entertained by say a lil Wayne or TI because they can rap. Those others I named can't even do that.
1. I agree with Mike, the hoodie era is back with a vengeance and I am not really that mad about it except the fake diamonds part...LOL.
2. Contrary to that nonsense Mike said this is actually the first album where Snoop put some effort into his lyrics and therefore has taken it back closer to his first album...closer than any other album he has dropped in the last 6-7 years.
3. I would watch Beyonce do anything even if she was in an Eskimo suit but the others you are probably right about.
4. Yeah that bama is rapping...I have stated my impatience and anger with this trivial pursuit in the past. His excuse is he started as a rapper so that's why he is doing it. My response is you never made it as a rapper for a reason, you are a successful singer and actor....be good at what you are good at!!!
5. Definitely whatever Jay does for the next year or so.

Dane (it won't let me log on to post a message for some reason)

jendayi said...

@robertmack - thank you! I'm so glad you brought up that stupid laffy taffy, chain hang low stuff... You would watch B and CiCi sleep?! lol.

@mike - I don't know man. How can you be entertained by something you don't agree with. I don't care if the beat is nice or not. I can't get with it. "Whatever Jay-Z did a month ago." Lol. So true. I was looking at him in the Lost Ones video and it doesn't really look like he's doing too much, which I love. He's really simple. That over the top stuff would have blown it for me.

@t.c. - (Thanks for posting this again.) Yes T!!! I was wearing hoodies back in college too! It's such an irrelevant piece of clothing though. Why hoodies?... "Assets". I like that. Good way to put it... Rap vs. Hip Hop. The great dispute.

@Dane - I'm with you on the entertainment thing. I completely feel you. I just can't get past these dudes to hear the music. They're an impediment to their own music! I agree with you on the Black Ty thing. Just sing Tyrese. Just sing.

@

jendayi said...

Read This! http://hmblog.wordpress.com/2006/12/12/hip-hop-chickenhead-chronicles/

Blu Jewel said...

blujewel says...
I couldn't agree more. I hate the damn song and any song that sounds like it. in fact, i hardly even watch videos now cause they all for the most part suck. Hip Hop for the most part is a bunch of meaningless words (they call lyrics) added to a decent sounding beat. I can't stand it and i certainly can't stand looking at these cats. UGH! Raggedy ass braids, ugly/ill fitting clothes on tubby bodies is NOT attractive. Hell, gimme a dude in a pair of Levi's and a loose fitting (NOT oversized) white tee and that's sexy to me. Fashion today is truly anything but, including women's wear.

I am so feeling you on this post girl. I better end now before my tirade really gets started.

jendayi said...

@blu - "Raggedy ass braids, ugly/ill fitting clothes on tubby bodies.." LOL. I am so with you on that.

Ms.Honey said...

I have always said Jim Jones looks like a dirty homeless man..he annoys me so much

Reecie said...

I definitely feel you on the state of rap music right now...it's flat out wack. At the same time, with the release of Kingdom Come and the upcoming release with Nas's new album... I do think we are going to see a slight turn in the tide. It won't be a revolutionary takeover of substance...but certainly a lifeboat in a sea of wackness.

Jim Jones is catchy, but disgustingly dirty...I thought I was the only one to notice that. It's funny that what's supposed to be cool...money, cars, clothes, women, bling, etc...are really just incredibly cliche and trite.

I don't have a problem with catchy mindless music, but I do have a problem when it crowds out real quality.

Anonymous said...

1. Bump a trend. I'll be rocking my faded, oversized, roughed up hoodies til the day I die. :-D

2. I've been boycotting the radio and music videos for about 4 years now. THe only way I'd know would be if I was back home.

3. Again, I've been boycotting. . .

4. Blakc ty? LOL LOLOLOL As in the alter-ego to white Ty? WE CAN SEE THAT YOU'RE BLACK, FOOL!!!!

5. Next hip-hop fashion trend will most likely be a combination of women getting sluttier and "blingier" at the same time. Perhaps diamond tatoos on the booty or breasts, or perhaps just piercings in those areas arranged to form dollar signs.

In all seriousness though, I'm starting to understand the mentalities that make this stuff sell a little better. Xanga entry on this later. www.xanga.com/power_Responsibility

Peace,
Kep.

Teej said...

Poor baby. This video is indeed all sorts of amounts of absurd. That I do agree with. But then again...mainstream hiphop is all sorts of amounts of absurd as well.

And yes Black Ty is for real. At leat he thinks he is.

layne bowden said...

yayyy! blogger beta likes me again!! (LOL)

all i'm g'on say is i agree with you first and foremost on the fact that it was a HUGE mistake to even tune in to BET! that channel is such a fuckin' joke!

next... i LOVE this post!! love the way you're keepin' it real. i think i've voiced some of these same opinions at one time or another before i just gave up on watching videos and listening to most hip-hop... unless of course it's common, outkast, the roots, mos def, & shit like that. that other mess... is JUS THAT... MESS!

i'm gettin' long winded... let me get on outta here! (LOL)

Peace!

Anonymous said...

okay just my two cents

1. I like the hoodies, especially the bapes hoodies. I actually wanted to get one but alas, it's been out too long and its probably to late now.

2. BET is such a MESS. Aside from the videos , do you see how they are glorifying gangsterism for us. I mean you have the jail/gangst flicks that come on on the weekends, you've got the new serious American Gangsta (i had a fit over this one), and Beef the series, not to mention the videos. It's SICK. It's like unless your ignorant of all the institutional and phsycological chians holding us down, you can't even watch that smut anymore. Forget BET, for real!! It doesn't do anything for us but hold us back.

Japera

Related Posts with Thumbnails