Monday, November 05, 2007

Reflections from "Get Yours!" - Part 2

Here's my take on the rest of Amy DuBois Barnett's book Get Yours! The Girlfriends' Guide to Having Everything You've Ever Dreamed of and More.

Get Your Money Right -
"I've found that the less I obsess about money, the more money I earn." "But earning is not enough. It's incredibly important for women to be independent and to have our own assets. Call your savings your "screw you" money. If you ever find yourself in a bad situation, personally or professionally, you have the ability to say "You know what? Screw you." Some people think wealth is about what you have. What you have more so talks to how much cash you have. Instead wealth means owning your own home. Getting all your bills paid off. Being able to send your kids to the best schools. Having a thick 401K ready for retirement. We've talked about this before in an earlier post, but I can't say it enough. Start investing. Build an emergency fund worth 6 months of your income. Sell some stuff. Take your lunch to work. Get a lower credit card rate. Know your credit rating. Stop sabotaging your savings... you know the deal people. "You deserve to live an abundant fulfilling life. Be grateful for what you have, work for what you want. Dream big and go for it!"

Get Him -
I thought this was a cute chapter. It dived into the issues that we women have to prevent us from holding on to good men. We often search for Mr. Exactly Right and ruin our chances of meeting a great guy. Let go of the list ladies. Accept imperfection. Amy also suggests that we stop believing in the man-shortage hype. She gives a great statistic about there being over 1 million extra men in 2010 in my age range and goes on to say this. "Besides, as a unique and exceptional woman, you don't expect the right man for you to be a dime a dozen. So quit complaining about how bad men are; that just invites bad men into your life." Priceless. She also recommends dating like a man - see a few different guys at once, end the phone call first, lean over and plant a kiss on him. You know how men love women to make the first move! In this same chapter she talks about how women are expected to be Desperately Seeking Stability (husband, kids, house in the burbs). That kind of hit me in the face because that's exactly who I am. But I learned a thing or two about celebrating my fun, fabulous years. She put me in check! The section concludes with an interview with Hill Harper which I was very bothered by...but I'll leave that for another blog.

Get Your Chic On -
Another fabulous section discussing how "beauty is temporary and fashion is transient, but sexy and stylish are forever." It's not about scoring that new pair of stilletos, rather it's about walking in them like you rule the world! HELLO! I'm finally figuring out my primary style. I've always had a style, but not that I have a job, I can afford the more expensive staple pieces that I adore. I absolutely have a NY sense of style. Nice tailored wool coats, a long pair of dramatic wide leg black pants, deep purple pumps. No more cheap clothes for me! Forever 21 is OUT (unless it's for jewelry or a cute hat)! Oh and don't underestimate the importance of shoes, bags and jewelry. Your accessories make your outfit. Believe that.

Get Your Personal Space - This was the chapter that helped me to see how much I disdain I have for my studio. Amy says "...I truly believe your living environment deeply affects you - spiritually, mentally, and physically. Your home can clear your head, soothe your soul, define your world, show your appreciation for yourself, and enhance your private and family time." My place does none of that. I not only wake up with a sore back and neck everyday, but I don't know the meaning of a light and airy space. It's so dark in my apartment and that's not good. Now I know what to look for in a place next time!

Get Creative -
I think this was one of my favorite chapters. Especially because of all the creative juices I have flowing within me. The quiz determined that I'm a creative inferno, which is great BUT I sometimes have trouble completing projects. So true. Here are some of the points Amy recommends. Turn off the TV. Identify your strengths. Tell yourself you're talented. Try something unusual. Spend time alone. Find others who share your interests. Consider profiting from your passion.

Get Spiritual -
This was my least favorite chapters. She has an idea of spirituality that is completely different from mine so I kept getting distracted as I tried to read through it. What I took from it though was that we all have a spiritual need. So supply it!

If you haven't already noticed, this book changed my life! I have so many quotes that I can't wait to write/type up for my personal use. Whenever I get into a rut, I know exactly where to go for motivation. Thank you Amy DuBois Barnett!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im'a step my game up...You've got this thing written and figured all ready. Kudos Sista :-)

Unknown said...

I've been reading this book as well and she is so on point about everything! I read through it once, just to get a feel for it, but now I want to sit down with it again to take notes and work on applying some of the ideas. I love your analysis!

Anonymous said...

First time running thru here....prolly wont be my last....

www.yazmar.com

T.a.c.D said...

so let's try this again..as i was saying before blogger lost my comment...
i will definitely be picking up this book like NOW...a lot of these things i have constantly been working on, but its always good, i think to get a refresher course and another perspective...so I shall

jendayi said...

thanks guys! happy reading!

Chari said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! I may have to check this book out!!

Vickilyn said...

I got the book. . .loved it! I felt the same about the spirituality chapter but none the less a great read. I'm thinking of giving it to a few friends for Christmas presents.

Ananda said...

yep, i am gonna get it and read it from cover to cover in december for my b-day. i am gonna give as gifts to my cousins and co-workers. thanks for sharing. love and light, ananda

Blu Jewel said...

this book should be in every woman's bookcase and we should be sitting around discussing the book and improving our lives accordingly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails