Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Blog About Pure Materialism

Last night, I attended the sneak preview of Sex and the City, and I am officially on a fashion high. Do you know that I dreamt about the movie last night and therefore am up at 6:41 in the morning blogging about it? I don't even have to go to work today! How crazy is this?! I feel like I'm on some sort of drug. I haven't been this over the top excited since "Devil Wears Prada"! I know you remember the scenes where Andy transformed and walked through the streets of NY head to toe in Calvin Klein and Chanel. Ugh! I was green with envy during those scenes.
Well the movie was absolutely fantastic. And the clothes were even better. I've never minded Carrie's crazy collaborations. I sorta fancy some of them. Especially when she pairs hard and dark accessories with soft and bright dresses. But the individual pieces (i.e. bags, shoes, jackets, jewelry, etc.) that popped up in the film had my head spinning. Charlotte had this feathery bag that I went crazy over...Then there was Carrie's black peep toe sandals...Miranda had this necklace on while having V-day dinner with Carrie that I wanted to snatch off her neck...And I've never cared much for Samantha's style but even I was looking really googlie-eyed at her ginormous beach hat. The fashion was incredible. Oh! And what high fashion store was Carrie in during one of the early scenes of the movie?! DIANE VON FURSTENBERG!!! (If you've read the blogs, you know she's my fav.)
So this is sort of a downer, but what the movie made me realize is that I'll never have enough money. I'm trying to come away from the film with a positive, upbuilding outlook, but it's hard when you see amazing fashion pieces that you want which inevitably costs as much as my dag on ivy league college tuition. Last night after the movie, I was tempted to step into the nearest store and charge the next best thing. Thank goodness my cousin was with me though. (Here comes the whining..) But how long until I can have the Louis Vuitton bag? Christian Louboutin boots? A Monique Lhuillier gown? A Chanel jacket? DAG ON IT! Why is life so unfair!!!!!????!?! Lol.
But lately I've been on this 'things-I-will-never-have-or-do' kick that I need to stick a knife through. Things like walk a red carpet in a designer gown, ride in a private jet, have a personal stylist, shop in private collection... The things that are staples in a celebrity's life. My sister said that I could have it all if I worked for it. But I then pouted and said that I didn't want to have to work for it. Typical me.
Ooo! I forgot to mention... Carrie's closet! Mr. Big built Carrie a closet that... there are no words. You just have to see this thing. It was more than beautiful. Shelfs and doors and shoe racks, oh my! It's funny because last night while putting clothes away into my small closet, I got really Carrie jealous. My family has always told me that I have a lot of clothes, but I didn't believe them until yesterday when my co-worker said that she's always curious to see what I have on because I have so many clothes. But in my defense, it's not that I have a lot of clothes. I just that I have different seasons to dress for. Does that make sense? Not really. Lol. Ok fine. I have a lot of clothes. Back to the closet. So yes. I'm Carrie jealous. I currently have 3 and 4 dresses and 2 sweaters a piece on ONE hanger. It's really frustrating. Mainly because I can't see what I have. But one day... I too shall have a big closet. Now THAT'S something I can easily reach for. He he!
So of course I will see the movie again to target and mentally log every j.a.c. friendly piece I adore. And to take in the story line too. Do you know that I cried? I'm such an emotional wreck sometimes. I wonder what they're going to do coming off of this movie. Meaning, will they sell dolls, have Sex and the City inspired paraphenalia everywhere (as if they already don't) or something else? There has to be some sort of capitalization on the film. You know what's interesting though is that Sarah Jessica Parker could have an amazing high fashion line. But instead 'Bitten' is her line of choice, which makes a significant tatement. While I appreciate the fashionable clothing at low-prices, there's no faking high quality. So you know what I need to do? Go vintage. My mother is the queen of vintage. But sometimes I just can't go through the crap to find the gems. What I need is the perfect consignment shop. I've actually seen one in LA, but can't remember where. Last night (a lot of things happened last night) on the news, they ran a story on the changing face of consignment shops due to our decapitating economy. The one that they featured in MD was a high end shop filled with designer labels. So that's my new mission in life. Find high-end consignment shops. My mom found a Calvin Klein jacket for me in one right here in NY. I have to ask her where that store is again. Maybe that can be a mother-daughter bonding experience. My love of high-fashion clothes combined with her special, thrifty, super shopping powers. Sounds like a winner!

If this isn't a blog about pure materialism...

5 comments:

Deja~I~Am said...

this does sound like pure materialism, be careful that you do not strive for riches and things or -- worship clothes.

Movie sounds good, I only want to see it for the fashion

K.C. said...

I started to read your blog and stopped when you started describing things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILER!!! I have my ticket for the midnight show tonight!!!! I'm so excited!!! I'll read your entry tomorrow :)

T.a.c.D said...

i cried too!

Ananda said...

i loved the movie too. great post.

Chari said...

Hey lady!!

Yes, the movie was great!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails