Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Convo with Ms. Keys

I saw Alicia Keys at Madison Square Garden last night and we had a conversation. I was feeling very emotional moments before I met up with her, and you know when your emotions are on your sleeve, everything means so much more. Quotes hit you harder, Bible verses are more profound... even lyrics that you've heard over and over again hit cords they've never hit before. So because of my emotional state, when I conversed with Alicia last night, I understood her more than I ever have.

I was feeling very under appreciated last night. Even slightly angry. I told her that there was one song in particular that I was feigning to hear. She asked me what it was and I gave her a piece of the lyrics. "Used to look at you and see the possibilities. I see you for who you are. Boy you've disappointed me. Go Ahead. Go on and get up on outta here. Go ahead baby. You knew you was wrong. You knew all along. Must be crazy. If you think I'ma fall for this anymore, everybody say naa naa naa naa." She said to me that she thinks she sees what's going on here. She said that she knew exactly what I was feeling and that there was something that she once said to her under-appreciating friends and acquaintances that helped her out a lot. Alicia must have been reading my mind because she looked at me and said "And a real woman knows a real man ain't fraid to please her. If you treat me fairly, I'll give you all my goods. Treat you like a real woman should. Baby I know you're worth it. If you never play me, promise not to bluff, I'll hold you down when it get's rough. Don't take for granted the passion that she has for you. You will lose if choose to refuse to put her first. She will and she can find a man who knows her worth. And a real man just can't deny a woman's worth." By the end of her anecdote, I was down with her. You know? I felt her. I told her, 'dag on real! If a person treats me up to my full worth, they could walk away with my soul! I'll give them everything they need! My goods, my soul, my everything!' So I was wide open by then. She spoke to my heart and I was really feeling her. So then she began to tell me that a lot of times they just don't get it. They mistake your feelings for something different and come out of their mouth with some mess that doesn't even make sense. Even AFTER you've given your heart and soul. You would think they would know by now, but... they don't. So she tells me, "How could you look me in my eyes and not see what, what I feel inside. Tell me how could you doubt the fact that I love. Don't you ever think like that. Don't you ever never do that. There will never be two things that go together better than you and me! I need you." I agreed, I told her that I don't understand how you could be so tight with someone and then all of a sudden they tell you that you're not down. It baffles me too. But she told me that it's alright. When all of that mess surrounds you, and you feel distorted, just remember that you're a strong, surviving woman. We all have to be when the valleys hit hard and you're feeling the blues. She told me that I have to be a superwomen and told me like this, "Everywhere I'm turning, nothing seems complete. I hang my head from sorrow. The state of humanity wearing on my shoulders. Gotta find the strength in me. Cuz I am a Superwoman. Yes I am. Still when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest with an 'S' on my chest. Oh yes, I'm a superwoman." I told her that I completely understood that. I'm always pulling my head up against the weight of the world even when my heart hurts. I already live the life of a superwoman. Have since I was little. But who's going to be there for me? Who's going to be my supersomeone? She had an answer right away. She told me to apply what she was about to say next to the Almighty God Jehovah. She said, "I just want you close where you can stay forever. You can be sure that it will only get better. You and me together through the days and nights, I don't worry cuz everything's going to be alright. And no one can get in the way of what I'm feeling." Then she asked me, you know why? I asked why, and she said, "When the rain is pouring down and my heart is hurting, you will always be around. This I know for certain." She was so right. When you have 'no one', who's the only person you can turn to that will be ALWAYS around? God.


There were so many other things that she said to me, but I'll keep that between Alicia and I. I ended up having a GREAT conversation with her, as you can see. There's something so spiritual and beautiful about that woman. Her insides radiate and I appreciated how she left her heart open for people like me to peak into.

2 comments:

Trapped-n-my-Thoughts said...

Very, very deep post...I'm feeling everything u & Ms. Keys talked about...I really needed to read this...it helped me this morning...

T.a.c.D said...

it is definitely deep, real and very relatable...extremely relatable...

Related Posts with Thumbnails