Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hair Dilemma Number 52

I've been thinking very hard...very very hard about what to do about my hair. It's plagued my mind for a while now as the cruise gets closer and closer. With 15 days to go, I figured I'd better figure out something kick. I told my cousin last night that I don't mind looking like a wild child in front of my friends, but when it comes to pictures... yeah. Don't take any. But we all know how impossible that's going to be, so after pondering wigs, weaves and braids, I decided to do something bold last night and wet my hair while in the shower. I had no idea what I was going to do with it or what it was going to look like when I got out, but I didn't really care. I have a hair appointment on Saturday, so I figured I could go a few days looking like a fool if I had to. I hadn't seen my hair wet in a while...especially since my hair isn't let loose long enough to look in a mirror while in the beauty shop. Lol. Ha! I'm laughing because it's amazing how everyone bum rushes you with some sort of tool whether it be a towel, a blow dryer, a comb, or rollers, as soon as you come out of the wash bowl. Do you realize that if our hair is left wet and unattended to longer than 5 seconds at the hairdresser, sirens go off?! You better believe that some one's always coming to straighten it out. Thank you Madame C. J. Walker! But anyway... I digress. So I get out the shower, go on about my business lotioning up and remembering to avoid the mirror. I figured it would be good practice because while on the beach and in the pool, I'm not going to have the ability to run to a mirror every 5 seconds, so why not play out the role now. So I managed to leave the bathroom without looking in the mirror. I came back 15 minutes later and oh my goodness!!! I'm not as dry and wild as I thought I would be! The back of my hair is curly! It's actually curly! I completely forgot that my new haircut would lend to a close curly do. I ran into my cousin's room and said "Look!" She was like "Wow! The back of your hair look really pretty!" Ladies and gentleman. I can not believe it. My hair looks good wet! HA! Now notice that I can only speak for the back. My front pieces have always been the bane of my existence. For some reason, the front of my head REFUSES to curl. But I'm not worried because I have all the gels, leave-in conditioners and curling appliances in the world. I'm going to figure out the front of my do. Even if I just decide to throw a headband on everyday. I'd rather do that than pay $500 for a weave or $200 for braids. I don't do braids anymore and I surely don't want to pay for a weave that I'm going to take out since I don't really like extra mess in my hair. So I have another 2 days to master this style before my appointment on Saturday. I'm excited!

It's amazing how much we go through as black women when it comes to hair. But I guess that's all just another part of us. It's important and it requires sacrifices. It's our crown and glory.

8 comments:

Deja~I~Am said...

hmmph, intersting.

jendayi said...

what does that mean?

T.a.c.D said...

its funny that you made this post because i truly have the same issue, especially since i now MUST begin exercising, its a matter of health...and its always been this head of mines that keeps me from doing it...i am happy that you are "freeing" yourself and just letting your hair be and working with what you got...now on to me...lol

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm totally feeling you. I reached for my half wig today and combed over the front. It kinda looks a little like what Tyra does with hers. The hair is called Freetress and can be ordered online. It's a quick and easy way to acheive the weave without the weave.

Good luck love!

jendayi said...

t.c. - good luck girl. you always do new and exciting things with your hair so no need to worry.

bap - yeah, i thought about sewing one of my half wigs in for the trip. i have plenty of those. lol.

jendayi said...

speaking of tyra... i just got the new copy thrown on my desk and she's on the cover.

Shai said...

Gurl, that is the same thing I have been thinking about, what to do with my hair. I have not had a perm in over 3 years. I have realized straight or kinky, my hair has a bunch of issues. I am toying with going back to the "creamy crack" then I cringe at the burning. *sighing*

I have been wearing wigs for the last year almost two. I was wearing braids. No matter what I choose it is all work, too much work for me.
I don't do afros, I look horrible with one. So now as the winter sets in good, I need something to protect my hair from major breakage. Winter is always murder on my hair.

Vickilyn said...

WOW! Can't wait to see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails