Thursday, August 19, 2010

Scriptures And Thoughts For Controlling Anger


I apparently have an issue with anger when I'm PMS-ing. So, what could be more on time than a Biblical study entitled "Gracious Speech Promotes Good Relations"? Don't really mind me here. I just feel the need to re-type or jot down ideas and scriptures that stick out to me while reading. Take what you want from it.




- "'Let your utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt.' (Col. 4:6) Such tasteful, appropriate speech is essential to good communication and peace."




- "Good communication does not mean saying everything you are thinking and feeling at any given moment, especially if you are upset. The Scriptures show that uncontrolled expression of anger is a mark of weakness, no strenthg." Ha! Point well taken. That one hit me right in the face. Sometimes I rationalize my not so good speech by thinking that at least I'm communicating. No go jj. Work on that.




- All his spirit is what a stupid one lets out, but he that is wise keeps it calm to the last. - Prov. 29:11




- "'In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly.' (Prov. 10:19) Yet, discretion does not mean never expressing oneself. It means speaking "with graciousness," using the tongue to heal rather than to hurt."




- "There exists the one speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise ones is a healing." - Prov. 12:18




-"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and he that is loving it will eat its fruitage." - Prov. 18:21 So basically, if I spit fire, I'm putting myself in line for death and not for everlasting life. Well I surely don't want to die when I have the option to live in a paradise forever. I need to check my tongue.




- "If something a brother has said or done disturbs you so much that you cannot simply pass over it, do not let hateful feelings fester in your heart. If someone angers you, get your own emotions under control and then take the steps needed to resolve the matter...address it kindly at an opportune time."




-"Speak...in a spirit of reconciliation." Word. Take steps to resolve. Don't seek ways to get back. When I'm hurt, I find that I reach out to hurt back. It's the natural reaction due to sin and imperfection. So I need to work the spirit of reconciliation.




-Take care to select the proper time to speak. Eccl. 3:1, 7 says, "the heart of the righteous one meditates so as to answer." This is what I need. I need to take time to figure out HOW to become gracious. Because when I'm mad, I don't even know how to be nice. Meditating first is going to prove beneficial. Taking my pen and paper and writing is out is always my remedy.




- "A discreet wife," one in whom her husband can really "put trust," is considerate of his feelings, just as she wants him to be of hers. "The truly wise woman has built up her house, but the foolish one tears it down with her own hands." - Prov. 14:1 That's powerful right there. The last time my husband and I got into it, I was so man that I tore him down. This scripture points out though that it's quite stupid to do that if you want a happy, upbuidling household. A woman's attitude can rule the whole house. If it's a bad one, it'll certainly bring everyone down. So my lesson is to not tear down. Basically, if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Silence is golden.




- "Handling anger calmly is not simply a matter of putting on a serene face. Pray for Jehovah's help to rid your heart of hurtful feelings. Let Jehovah's spirit transform your mind and heart to conform to His will." Isn't the answer always to pray?


- "Practical steps...leave the scene, thus giving your emotions time to settle...make an extra effort to speak graciously. A cutting or agressive remark would add fuel to the fire even if it is delivered in a gentle voice. Pray for Jehovah's spirit to help you to say good things, not bad."


- Ecclesiates makes some good points...The end is always better than the beginning so be patient and don't be in a hurry to get offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones. It also encourages us to not give your heart to everything that people say because you well know that you have said some things about people too. So instead of taking offense, patiently analyze why they may have said what they said. It'll help in moving us to be forgiving.


- "In order for us to receive God's forgiveness, we MUST forgive others. Be quick to apologize and quick to forgive."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails