Monday, November 20, 2006

Blue Collar Or White Collar?

"Can I get the white-collar with the blue trim???"

Daneger asks a very intersting question in this post of his (click link above). In his research, he's being to see a pattern in that women generally prefer blue collar men over white collar ones. He's asking why, and this is the response I gave him. What do you think?

"I want to preface my comment by saying that a good man is a good man, yada yada yada. Whatever form he comes in is fine with me if we are blah blah blah...
Okay. Now that we got that out of the way, I have to say that I too have said that I would prefer a blue collar man over a white collar one.
I'm sitting here trying to formulate my opinion and I'm beginning to recognize that most of my ideas on this issue have come from movies, tv, or some other media outlet.
The corporate man most likely wants to do well within his business. He want to grow and eventually step into a management position. He has great business skills, is extremely focused, has been awarded his very own office administrator, and always looks great in his suits. Sounds great, but what happens when he spends more time at work than at home or he's on call all the time and can be reached at any moment on his office cell phone? What happens when he goes on travel and leaves for one to two weeks at a time? What happens when he comes home at 8 or 9 at night every single night? What happens when it becomes difficult to schedule a vacation? What happens when he's working late nights with his office administrator and something potentially goes down? Now I do realize that I am talking about one end of the white-collar-brother spectrum, and am pulling thoughts from movies, etc. (especially the secretary affair/cheating part), but this doesn't hit too far from home because the majority of my close male friends work on Wall Street. Wathing their lifestyle and observing their relationships, I know there is no way in the world that I could be their girl.
The UPS worker who knocks on my door, the Aquafina delivery guy that comes into my building every Wednesday, or the trash man that I know will be there to pick up my trash every Sunday somehow seem more appealing to me. Maybe it DOES have something to do with them wearing a uniform and using their God-given beautiful bodies in a physical way, but what's even more attractive is that they work during the week, and are off on the weekends. They have time for family, children, and a relationship and their career's aren't number one. They seem consistent.
My dad was/is a bus driver and a firefighter. Very blue collar. He works/worked HARD to support his family, since he didn't make the money that an experienced white collar man would. That's another point to bring out. I know I'm generalizing, stereotyping and everything else but it just seems like a blue collar man works so much harder and appreciates every little paycheck he gets. Of course, white collar men do too Dane, but there's something still so very different. Maybe the appreciation is just stronger? I don't know. Maybe it's the struggle? lol. I feel like I'm beginning to sound ridiculous but I respect a faithful, hard-working blue collar man. Basically it just sucks for white collar dudes that are just as hardworking, attractive, physically gifted and appreciative. =/"

2 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

You know I commented but its on Dane's page....

Anonymous said...

Interesting. . . Makes sense. . .

Peace,
Kep.

Related Posts with Thumbnails