Tuesday, November 21, 2006

November 21, 1982

24 years ago, my mother gave birth to her first child. I still remember the pictures of my father holding me proudly in the hospital. He just turned 26 and my mother was only 21 years old. Of course, this wasn't an anticipated pregnancy. In fact, the news that my mother was pregnant was so unexpected that my mother considered visiting a clinic to abort me. My mother told me the story about how when she asked for information on abortions, my dad proceeded to look at her like she was crazy. 'We're not aborting this child,' he told her. She was surprised because she assumed that both of them knew that a child at that time and age was too much. She was in school trying to complete her bachelor's and my dad was working a measly, minimum wage job at Hechinger's. But trusting in my father and their committment, they got married and had me.

I say all this to say that my birthday is not about me. It never has been. It's not a special day to celebrate my achievments and my life. It's never been J.A.C. day and I've never thought that taking recognition for it was right. It's a day to say thank you to first and foremost to Jehovah God for creating me, and secondly to my earthly father for loving me. My dad gave me a chance to have life, and I seriously would not be here if it weren't for him. Who knows, my mother could have had a change of heart without his coaxing, but I thank him for being so committed to my life. Of course, I have to thank my mother for being so open-minded and for loving me enough to have me. For trusting in the stability of the family. For following the divine family arrangement and being a woman in subjection to my father. I am so honored that my parents devoted their love, time, energy and money into raising me into the woman that I am now. So I have to say congratulations to my parents and the rest of the community that has given me so much concern. Thank you SO MUCH for helping me to make it to this day. This day is rightfully yours...

8 comments:

T.a.c.D said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
T.a.c.D said...

Beautiful sentiments...I would, however, encourage you to reflect on the woman that you have become and take some time out to appreciate who you truly are...as much as our parents and family pour into us, its really up to US to take all of that knowledge and love it...so be grateful for who you are, and that you took it all in...

Love you like a sistah (you already know)
Have a wonderful day...

jendayi said...

Thank you guys! I definitely had a wonderful day yesterday. It's amazing how even when there are little upsets (because there were a couple yesterday) your spirit and attitude can make all the difference and carry you through. Thanks again for the warm sentiments ladies.

Love J

Daneger said...

JAC, now you are almost old like me....LOL.
Your story is very touching. Thanks a lot for sharing.
I hope that your 25th year will be the best yet starting today.

jendayi said...

I know that my 25th year will be incredible. Thanks Dane!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY JENDI!!!

May you have many BLESSED more.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, homie. Everytime I think of the abortion issue, the same thought runs through my head. My Mom and Dad were artists for crying out loud! My Mom a singer. When you're in show biz, a child is nothing short of a career blocker. Still, I'm here and so greatful for it. Glad our parents made the right decisions!

Happy Birthday!

Peace,
Kep.

jendayi said...

Thanks guys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails