Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ring or No Ring?

I just had the opportunity to see THE most beautiful wedding engagement ever. I wish I could share the slideshow with the world, but since I don’t know the future bride and groom well, I won’t do so. The engagement was certainly an affair to remember. The groom rented out 10 rooms in the Ritz that were filled with gold-dipped roses, candles, rose petals, etc. The bride and groom-to-be went from room to room where each room held a different group of people who were special to them. They shared a memorable time together, prayed together and went on to the next room. The 10th room of course, is where he proposed. It was magnificent.

The groom-to-be obviously put a lot of money, time and effort into the affair. Saving up for a nice sized ring can often take plenty of time. But when I began to think about my baby boi, engagements, weddings and everything else that comes with it, I began to realize that rings are not that important to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been looking at engagement rings since I was five, but I’d rather not have a ring and get married in a reasonable amount of time than to wait years for the perfect ring. You never know what can happen from one day to the next. In a year from now, someone may not be here.

My mother didn’t get her diamond until her 25th wedding anniversary. I do feel like that it was time for her to get her dream ring, but I understand her not having a ring right away. There were living expenses, new babies, automobiles and necessities to care for. Ya know? There were more important things to take care of.

Believe me though, I fully understand those women who need at least a lil’ somethin’ somethin’ on their ring finger when getting engaged. I can see how that would be important to some, but for me, it’s just another material possession. I don’t really want to sound self-righteous and I’m not trying to make anyone who wants a 3 carat rock feel bad. In my perfect world, I would have the most stunning, platinum, 10 carat, diamond ring ever!! (Okay. Maybe not 10 carats but you know what I'm saying. lol.) But it’s just not that important to me. Especially not if it’s going to take years for my future fiancé to procure. I could be happily married for 5 years before getting that ring! I’d take happiness over platinum any day.


Ladies: If you knew your man was saving for a year for a ring, what would you tell him? Would you just let him be a man and complete his special presentation or would you say “Forget the ring! Let’s just get married!” ? How important is an engagement ring to you? How important is the proposal to you? Does he need to go all out? What if he wants to save up for an extended period of time for the perfect proposal? What would you say?

This reminds of Case’s video “Happily Ever After”. That too, was a beautiful engagement and nice thought. I tried to find the video, but had no luck. Sorry!

13 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

ummmm....this is a great question...what would i want...
i always envisioned, and don't laugh, being at a HUGE cookout with all my family and friends and him just getting on the mic and asking me that way...doesn't have to be all romantic and things, but it would be nice to have all of my family and friends there with me...

BUT at the same time, something just me and him, would be just fine too...

I don't need a lot of diamonds (although that Tiffany's Legacy engagement ring is on the ONE-HELLO!)
don't need an extended save up-I am cool with earning my ring after 25 years too...

but how ever HE wants to do it is fine with me, that's HIS time to show me how much HE cares in his own way...so i'll just let it be-alls i care about is it coming from the heart...my longwinded answer to your question....

jendayi said...

t.c. - yeah i feel the same way. we all have our dream, but waiting for the dream is not so bad. being together is what's most important. send me a pic of that ring!

K.C. said...

I think I might want a bit of a nonchalant proposal...I mean one day, we'd just be talking and he'd say..."we should get married".. and then I'd say, "of course we should" and then we'd go TOGETHER to pick out the ring....I feel like the proposal is so over-rated...and if saving on the proposal plan will enhance the actual wedding ceremony...well, I'm down for it! Cuz my wedding will be OFF THE HOOK, do you hear me? OFF THE HOOK. This wedding singing thing has really given me so many ideas! I'm so excited!

T.a.c.D said...

yea because i can't see him being all romantic and things...i can see him just sliding the box across the table at dinner...lol...
you know what's more important is being together and having a fabUlous wedding...HELLO! (i am wit you kc)
oh and i sent the ring pics

jendayi said...

k.c. - i wanna know!! tell me about your wedding!! i need to envision it!

t.c. - yeah i'm all about the wedding too, but i don't want to spend TOO much money that we go in debt and everything. the most expensive part of the wedding is going to be my dress. cuz my dress is going to be BANGIN! do you hear me?!! sick, off the hook!!!

oh and i'm getting married on a cruise. that way anyone who wants to go will be there.

T.a.c.D said...

well i'll be there...
and no debt for me either for a wedding...no no no...my parents have given me a budget and what i can't do in that...won't get done...i might go away myself...hell as much as stuff costs i might get married on an island and come home and have a huge cookout or something like that...why not...only time will tell

dc_speaks said...

ok..that dude was a class act. I'm kinda feelin bad that I didn't incorporate that into my proposal.

hmmmmmm...i need to think on this some more...

excellent post, jac

oh yeah try...www.pcplanets.com to find videos for free...

my psa

jendayi said...

t.c. - actually that's quite common and a very good idea. people are starting to keep their weddings very isolated & small, and then throw a large cheap gathering of some sort afterwards.

dc_speaks - see! you're not supposed to feel bad! this guy was doing his own thing. i'm sure that your proposal was perfect! thanks for visiting dc_speaks.

blkbutterfly said...

this a great question. they were talking about something similar to this on the radio a month or so ago.

i agree w/ t.c., i would just let him do his thing. as long as the relationship is secure, loving, and healthy, we can take our time to get married. of course, don't tell me 5 years later you're still saving for the ring! :-)

as for the engagement, i want something unique and personal to us. you know, the way Taye Diggs' character proposed to his girl in The Best Man irks me to no end! how is he going to steal someone else's thunder and propose at a wedding reception?! lame... ok, so for that tangent. :-) but, really, i think engagements should be carefully planned and thought about.

it's funny how ppl view the whole engagement thing. i had a friend who was proposed to in April and she called me and told me about it like 30 minutes after it happened! she put it on Facebook, was happy about her ring, they've already set a wedding date, the whole nine. then you take my other friend/former co-worker who got engaged in December, but didn't breathe a word about it until a week or so ago! she didn't have (or want) a ring and they're not sure when they're getting married, but know it will happen in due time. getting engaged was more an expression of their commitment one another. interesting, to the say the least.

It is What It Is... said...

Well, If I knew he was saving for it...I wouldn't object. I say that because a REAL man has already made his mind up what he wants to do. I wouldn't take it away from him. I'd let him carry out his intentions and do it his way.

When a guy meets their wife to be...he SHOULD pretty much already knows what type of woman she is (exp. high maitenance, low key, non-chalant, etc.) so he should know what makes her tick or what she's wants in a wedding, proposal, and RING...and he should've had the talk w/ the best friend or moms before he starts searching...lol

So basically, I'd let my man do what he set out to do. And hopefully, we'll be likeminded in that he and I both wouldn't spend frivolously on "things" UNLESS we both had the means to do so...

However, I've had some female friends who haven't been happy w/ their ring...and I must say that they are not happily married anymore - lol ...so it just goes to show, you have to know people...and what makes them tick...and what's important to them.

eclectik said...

I dunno, I got "Marriage issues" BUT I'm glad you saw the greatest etc etc etc
you Softy! LOL

e.

eclectik-relaxation.com

The Message board (Grown folk talk)

Jenn Will said...

Gosh I guess I am now an official responder to your blog...lol.

I would not appreciate a proposal that didn't include a ring. It would make me feel like your proposal was haphazard, like the thought to marry me just crossed your mind and you blurrted it out...I'm gonna need to see some evidence of planning and thoughtfulness, i need to know that you have contemplated this life decision and aren't just winging it...also I need a rock on my finger.

I don't want a wedding, we can do justice of the peace a couple days after you propose, but i do want a rock. You will know the acceptable styles, and 4c's before you choose said ring, because while it is very romantic to think that my future husband will be able to pick out the perfect ring for me all by himself...I'm not willing to risk it.

Like most people feel about the wedding, thats how I feel about the ring...it has to be perfect because I plan on wearing it the rest of my life.

jendayi said...

blk butterfly, it is.., jenn will - it sounds like everyone's pretty much on the same page. "as for the engagement, i want something unique and personal to us." "Well, If I knew he was saving for it...I wouldn't object." it appears as if engagements, proposals and rings are very important. i think that it is on one hand, but not so much on the other. i understand where everyone is coming from, but i guess i'm not too strict on the subject.

jenn will - i remember having this convo with you and laughing about the ROCK issue. welcome to the comments section lady!

Related Posts with Thumbnails