Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Changed My Life

For those of us outside of the environmental justice (EJ) world, what do you see when you think about a group of environmentalist? If you're anything like me, you see a group of hippie-looking, white people wearing khaki, cargo shorts and save-the-world t-shirts chained to a tree in the forest. Or you might see "green terrorists" running towards you with posters and stacks of statistics on why you're evil for wearing a leather jacket. Better yet, you could also see people with holes in their pants, colorful scarfs around their necks, and crazy uncombed hair on busy, city, street corners asking suited and booted business people to 'join the struggle'. Am I on point? So when Ms. Iantha and Mrs. Dunn asked me to participate in the planning committee for the Partners for Environmental Progress Summit's Emerging Leaders day, I was confused. "You want me to do what?" First of all, I know nothing about the environment and have no passion for EJ. Shoo, I don't even know what EJ is! Second, I'm scared of the "green terrorists". They'll kill me for not having the right light bulb! And third, I own crocodile pumps! Now you KNOW I'm not giving up my shoes.

So I'm sitting in the Emerging Leaders Summit like a fish out of water. I can't be myself...I have no idea what to say...terms and definitions are flying past my head...no one on the committee looks like me...I work for a company that furthers war interests... It's just all around awkward. As the morning hours pass, more colorful people continue to join the group, but it's not until two gentleman from Morehouse stroll in that I begin to feel like I can breathe. I can't put my finger on why, but there's just something about having educated and environmentally passionate, black, college men join the conversation that made me feel better. But then I got annoyed...Can someone please tell me why are we never on time? Dag on black people. But anyway, the way I felt inside regarding the whole situation, you would have never thought that I went to predominately white schools all my life.

While a room full of my peers presented and discussed, I listened. I sat back, opened my mind, and listened (which was the best thing I could have done at that time). What I began to understand was that this wasn't about saving the whales or the polar bears. It wasn't about power plants and evil people like me who wear leather jackets and crocodile pumps. Instead it was about multiculturalism, racial harmony, active listening, partnerships, mutual respect, language and leadership. That's when I began thinking, "Okay Okay people...You're speaking my language now!" Once that bond was made, I was done. I could finally rescind my "green terrorist" label. =)

I quote just popped up in my work email. "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome." Ha! How ironic is that?!

Anyway, as I sat in seminars with the most diverse group of unified individuals I have ever sat with in my life, I was overwhelmed with feelings of unity, joy, and trust. I know it sounds very "hug-a-tree" and "we are the world", but liken it to this. I was just talking to Mikesee about the feeling you get when you're partying with friends from all different stages of your life and you take a minute to notice how happy, inclusive, and warm everyone is to one another. Everyone's in one place having a great time and feeling extremely happy. When you take that minute to pause and reflect on the unity in the room, it's like the universe is in complete harmony. That's exactly how it felt at the summit. Everyone was there to make things better (which just so happened to be environmental things) and to have a good time. One of the speakers mentioned how dangerous it is to underestimate the value of laughter and up-building activities. Playing a game such as two truths and a lie can honestly be the foundation for trust, honesty and partnerships as you get to know one another! It was brilliant! And there were tons of more brilliant comments to follow! But you guys know how I am. I'm all about peace, joy, love and goodness. Fruits of the spirit. Universal habits we should all cultivate. Wanting to just all get along. =)

So that's the story of how I was won over. You should see me. I'm all into EJ principles on working together, EJ definitions, green groups, etc. I'm trying to figure out how I can help further EJ initiatives, partner Kiamsha with environmental groups as well as include these initiatives into the Kiamsha curriculum...how to save electricity, buy only organic products, save the whales, plan a one man revolution against hog farming, preserve the wild life in the top 5 national parks... Ok... well maybe I'm taking it a bit too far, but I am motivated. You can be sure that I'm not quite as radical as some of my new friends are, but I understand their passion. Maybe it's because the lines between them and me are beginning to blur.

Below are a couple of notes I took... Now tell me that these points shouldn't apply to every organization, corporation, non-profit, boyfriend/girlfriend relationship and marriage...If anything, the environmentalists may have one up on organizations who don't have these principles in place... Hmm.

-promoting inclusion
-recruitment & retention
-fund development
-evaluation
-better definitions/language
-develop leadership
-communication ~ cross-intergenerational
-coherent partnerships
-culture
-international
-personal relationships
-shared visions & goals
-mutual respect
-time set aside for fun
-furthering each other's agendas
-adequate resources

There's so much I want to say to those who had an impact on me, but I'll consolidate my thoughts and say thank you to all of the superstars who changed my life.

3 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

sounds like an enlightening event...that's why i love stuff like that, you always learn something, big or small...i am glad you had that experience...

Chari said...

Awww! Congrats girl!! Keep it up!!

I|AM❖TONYC said...

I think you synthesized the conference wonderfully! The magnitude of the thoughts exchanged were path altering! Environmentalism isn’t simply a hobby for the rich, a pass time thereof, or an extracurricular activity used to score brownie points when applying to grad school; this is now a permanent fixture of our collective soul work! This is our movement, and its "high time" we walk into our authority! ☺

Great post Jendayi!

Oh yes, please pay witness to the great and wonderful Jendayi, as she so perfectly articulated why low-income households do not unitize energy efficient light bulbs. If your up to the challenge, check out this youtube….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrLa5yqOt-E


In supplement to this blog, please check out the feature, 10-minute web-based video exclusive prepared by WENS-TV and the Charlotte Post.

http://www.thecharlottepost.com/index.php?submenu=Online_Videos&src=gendocs&ref=Headline_Videos_TW&category=Main

The featured article associated with this video can be found at: http://www.thecharlottepost.com/index.php?src=news&refno=414&category=News&PHPSESSID=369c05290eab250fb091a078a0550f66



Peace and Love
Tony C. Anderson

Related Posts with Thumbnails