Monday, October 01, 2007

Valuable Lesson #218

Recording Valuable Lesson #218 out of many more to come.

There are two companies (Company A and B) that I would like to work for. Company A has a program that would be absolutely divine for my situation. It's a temporary contract program that allows for flexibility while accruing tenure. I love it because the idea of anything permanent at this point in my life is unrealistic and quite frankly, scares me a little. So when I happened across this program, all I could say was "PERFECT"... Or is it?

Neither Company A and B seem to know that I'm alive. I've been applying and applying and applying...and nothing. It's been longer than I care to mention, so obviously something's not right. It appears as if I need to widen my search or vary my tactics, but there's a large part of my that doesn't want to give. I've been stuck on these two companies for very good reason. Both will afford me a financially comfortable life. Both are right up my alley in terms of skill and industry. Both are located centrally and would be very easy to get to. The list of reasons go on. But when I check my inbox and voicemails in hopes of a message from Company A or B and nothing's there, my spirit weakens. So what's a girl to do?

Many many moons ago, my mentors and other mature elders told me to step out on faith. They advised me to broaden my horizons and take baby steps to get where I want to be. But of course, because of my greedy desire to want everything at this current second, I brushed off their notions. Today, however, is a new day. Wisdom is starting to kick in and I'm seeing things in a brand new light.

So here I am...looking at job searches...forcing myself to not overlook the executive administrative positions (my skill level is higher than that)...the positions at no name companies (what company did you say?)...the positions with Sr. in the title (i don't have enough experience yet)...the positions in the marketing department (i'm not even in marketing). I look at the link. Think about opening it. Put my mouse over the link. Wave it back and forth. Get scared. Decide to see if anything else is available first. Promise to come back. Start chastising myself for not having faith. Come back. Get the nerve to click. Read through the job description and qualifications. Get scared again. And finally, bail.

While I might be scared to death to apply for jobs that might not be as perfect, I think about how incredibly humbling an executive administrative position might be. There could be lessons to learn about myself in that position. I think about the benefits of changing careers and learning something entirely new. Something that I might absolutely fall in love with. Company A and B could put more hours on me than I care for. I could have less time for myself and Jehovah than desired. There are so many reasons for me to step out of the box. The only thing holding me back is fear. Fear of the direction that Jehovah is sending me in. I imagine my life a certain way and I want it to happen precisely how I imagine it, but this waiting game has taught me a valuable lesson. It's funny how this kind of stuff always comes back to faith.

Alright Jehovah. You said to have faith so here I go. I'm going to do it your way. You know what my heart's desire is. I just pray that you take it into consideration and lead me. Whatever works for both you and myself... I'm game. Thanks for sticking by me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

5 comments:

Thesis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thesis said...

I think what you are going through is very common today. With candidates that I sit down with on a daily basis, many of them are concerned about pursing Exec. Admin (EA) position because they feel their skill-set or experience is more than what an EA position calls for. I think it is great to expect more out of a position but what many people don't realize is that good companies want their Administrative professionals to grow and branch out to other areas in the company.

I am working with a client now that has a rotational program for admins which will allow them to learn all aspects of the wealth management business and in a year or so, go on to possibly get their own clients or hop into HR, etc... I think that EA positions are great stepping stones into a world of opportunity and yes, financial stability....depending on location and experience, Exec. Admins can get paid b/w $45K and $70K. These are east coast numbers...however, i've worked with candidates who got job offers from Venture Capital firms closer to the $85K range....now those numbers come with experience but it's fallacious to think that companies won't pay for the right admin.

Now with respect to faith, I am a firm believer that it's necessary to have such but action is key. Now you've exhibited both but in today's market it's not only about applying but also finding creative ways to get yourself exposed. Simply applying to jobs is so 1998. It's 2007 and companies are using sites like Linkedin and other social networking sites to find top notch candidates in the scarce labor market. Great candidates are not posting their resumes on Monster or Careerbuilder but are building an extensive and diverse network pool so that when they are looking for a job, word of mouth helps them rather than simply hitting the "apply" button. I mean not to sound non-empathetic. I care a lot not only cause this is my job, but because there are many ways individuals can take control of their job application process. It is great to apply but follow-up with more ballsy efforts.

Cold call a company to find out who the hiring manager is. find out who the recruiter managing that position is and send the recruiter or hiring manager a professional and creative cover letter and resume. don't expect them to call you back. call them back weekly and make it a point to even show up at their office unannounced. show up as if you were there to interview with them. the worst they can say is get out but if you go there on point with a good case for them to sit down with you, a good company and employer wont turn you away.

ask for informational interviews....do research on companies and send them essays/writing samples on your research...maybe you saw an article about them in the local business journal or maybe you were reading their "about us" or news section and something you read appealed to you....hitting the "apply" button doesn't show interest anymore in 2007...you've gotta do more and do it creatively.

You gotta realize that your competition has those networks and the personal cell phone #'s of those hiring managers. all they need to do is make a quick phone call and its done. I think, from what I've read, you're doing all the right things in getting yourself out there but I think you can kick it up a notch. There are a world of ideas out there that I can help you discover, if you're interested.

I don't think you should get discouraged at all. The market is hot and companies are interviewing. Don't believe what job postings say all the time. Just cause you may not have 100% of the skills, doesnt mean you wont do a great job. Today companies assess not only technical skills but intangibles like, "what makes you a great worker?" or "how have you exhibited yourself to be a self-starter?" these are things that aren't always outlined on a paper resume...get yourself in front of the company and wow them from a face to face.


if you've done all the above and they still dont give you the time of day, then keep it moving. God has promised you a lot and you haven't scratched the surface yet.

If you need anything, let me know.

Peace.

~Thesis
Recruiter for International Fortune 500 company

Chari said...

Wonderful post! I feel EXACTLY like you do! It is scary, for real. You will be in my prayers!

T.a.c.D said...

i think that thesis gave you VERY good advice and you could also revamp your resume and cover letter...looking outside of "your industry" could actually work for you...that's what i did and now I am in a position that i am that will allow me to grow...just take time to revamp and like you said jump out there on faith!

Ms. Confessions said...

Things will work out for you.
Keep your head up & your faith.

Related Posts with Thumbnails