Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Turning Point #14

I co-created a performing arts program and taught dance classes for the Los Angeles community. I take photography classes and find joy in taking creative photos. I sit on the alumni board of a youth empowerment organization that promotes abstinence from sex, drugs, violence and racism. I had a ball working with New York City's Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. I served as a member of the planning committee for the Emerging Leaders Summit at the Partners for Environmental Progress Conference. I find happiness in being involved with the Association for the Study of African-American Life & History's (ASALH) Youth Day. My best job was as a marketing intern for The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. in NY.

I am NOT a finance person.

Can you believe that I just figured this out today? I've been working in finance for the last 3 years and while I'm good at what I do, I hate it. I can crunch the mess out of numbers, but it bores me to death. So who exactly am I? Well from what I listed above, it seems like I'm some sort of creative, youth-oriented, passionate contributing member of society. I am project-driven. I'm an on my feet, active type of woman. Performing and fine arts are my joy. I'm in love with entertainment, fashion, magazines, and people-empowerment. I desire to save future generations.

I've never realized that I'm not where I'm supposed to be because everything joyous that I've done has been extra-curricular. I do it without thinking. I leave work and spend time taking pictures for fun. Going to an ASALH conference and being a role model for teenagers and young adults is just a mini-vacation. Just something that I do. Creating the performing arts academy was just a side project. Something to keep me entertained and to keep smiles on little girl's faces. Nothing big.


OH BUT IT IS BIG!

I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. Well...obviously I wasn't meant to see it earlier. I've gained valuable experience from a giant Fortune 500 corporation, and now I need to move on.

I swear... the minute I think I'm figuring something out, I'm turned upside down. My world as I know it doesn't make sense anymore. So now what? I definitely have to re-vamp the resume. Since I have no formal experience in the industry that I want to move into, I'm going to have to start at the bottom. Or am I? And just what is the name of this industry that I'm looking for? It's not pure entertainment because Lord knows I don't want to deal with the cut-throat, nasty mess that goes on in that world. How do I stretch what I've done into something that a company will view as valuable experience? How do I find a way to take everything that I've done for free and get paid for it?

Ok. Can I just tell you that this 24th year on earth is my most confusing, self-seeking, craziest, most lost, emotional year in my entire life!?!? This is so much work! Geez!

What a journey!!!

10 comments:

Thesis said...

I think what you're experiencing can simply be considered as "Coming of Age." I think, in our lifetimes, we'll have these moments quite a few times. The good thing about this is that its absolutely normal and speaks to individuals who are very ambitious and re-discovering themselves socially, spirititually, professionally, et. al. To summarize, it's called: Growth!

It's great that you figured that out but to be honest with you, upon first conversation with you, I could already tell that although you've been in corporate for a little while and have skills in your specific industry, there's a difference between a job and a career. While you could definitely make a career out of what you're doing now, it's not going to make you happy as your extracurricular activities make you who you are and have somewhat defined you.


In my first year of college in 1999, I went to school with the intention of pursuing medicine. I excelled in every class except the sciences. Social sciences and language arts and other simple gen eds, I did A's & B's. Chem 1- C+; Chem 2- D.....I was devasted. My whole life, having come from a household of individuals in the medical space and having gone to a math and science highschool, seemed to just fall apart. I transferred from that school because tuition was too high and because it didnt really make sense to stay since I wasn't interested in pursuing medicine any longer.


The next year was filled with difficult and frustrating moments because, at 19/20, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life next. My sister gave me some advice that will never depart me for as long as I live. And this is something that you realized as of late Zuri.....she told me that the career I want to end up in has to be something that you would do for free. She told me that it's something that you don't even think about and defines who you are. When she said that, I felt like a light bulb went off. Things became so much clearer and my decision-making skills with respect to my future was better.


Although I majored in Political Science and History inevitably and I am a Recruiter now, I feel that in college I was a networker and a leader and was the proverbial "go-to guy." I was the President of the BSU, I was a Resident Advisor, I volunteered, I mentored, etc...Being in the social sciences honed my writing skills and my public speaking skills.....I was always that dude that people went to find out how to get something done. You were late in registering for a class? no problem, I had the hookup in Admissions. lol. You needed a job, no problems...i had the hook-up with the dean of student life....lol.....

All of those experiences were things that I did for free and i loved it. So, in being a recruiter now, I wake up every morning saying, "let's go get someone a job!" well, not in those exact words but you know what i mean....i'm just doing what i have always done and am accustomed to doing and it feels great....Do I see myself as a Recruiter forever? I don't know....but I do know that I've found my niche and I can see myself here for a loooong time if I wanted to.


There's a definite comfort and relief that comes with knowing who you are and what you want. Once you know it, be open to what God throws your way cause it will be what's best for you.....Indeed, all good things come to those who wait and are of faith! Now that this light bulb went off....the world is yours for the taking! I'm sure you know how to market yourself.....just keep putting yourself out there and something will fall in your lap...i trust it!


Apologies for the thesis of a response....but you should be used to that by now. haha!

T.a.c.D said...

welcome to walking into your own womanhood...that time when you thought you knew what it was to be A woman in her own skin, then you realize that you didn't know it...but it was there all along...

i can totally relate...figuring out your purpose is totally major...totally

we shall definitely talk over the weekend on how to take what you have done and create it so that people see it as "experience" its all in how you spin it...

i am SO happy for you!!!

jendayi said...

you guys are so right! everything that you've said hits home. unfortunately there's still a part of me who fears this life-altering relevation, but i'm learning that fear is a good thing. i just have to be willing to do the work to make my dreams come true.

i just wonder... does the perfect job exist? can i find what i'm looking for? where should i start? what am i applying for? i need some serious exposure.

Chari said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that you are blessed to have realized this! As so many people go through their whole life working a job they don't like.

You go girl!!


But there are different types of resumes that can highlight things that you have done that you were not getting paid for. Try checking those out. I know if you are changing careers, you can check out transitional resumes. I believe they are called.

I am so proud of you and excited for your new journey ahead!!! :)

B.m.W said...

HEY! This sounds so much like the last 6/7 years of my life. Congrats on making the realization and best wishes on finding you way.

Blu Jewel said...

Your seeking your Personal Legend (refering to The Alchemist by Pablo Cuelho). You're not content in just being; you want to live and you want to seek out that which will make you whole and make you YOU!

Your journey will be filled with confusion, strengths, weaknesses, etc, but you have to continue until you find your treasure. Agree with Thesis' comment as it defines what it most important to us. Your informal experiences with all the things you did for free, can serve as formal experience because you've done it already. Everything we do in life is an experience and something that can set us apart from someone else.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey and I applaud your willingness to seek what you truly desire instead of settling.

K.C. said...

Welcome to my world!!! :)

Alisa Renee' said...

I'm happy for you, too, J.

THIS is why I teach. I could make so much more money doing something else, but I wake up every single day and love going to work. I LOVE what I do. I LOVE my job. I feel fulfilled, like I make a real difference. Tuesday at 4pm (the school day ends at 4.10) I had an INFLUX of former students coming to my classroom. I was annoyed and frustrated because I was tying up a lesson but every time I got three words out, someone was knocking on my door. I yelled at them to GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE!!! And they responded, "Well, it's not OUR fault you're everybody's favorite teacher!!!!!!" Moments like that make it all worthwhile. The path you're choosing is one with endless rewards. I am so glad you've arrived here.

Ananda said...

Sending you love and light as you embrace your authentic self. It is a lifetime journey. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Peace, Ananda

jendayi said...

thanks for your comments everybody!

Related Posts with Thumbnails