Saturday, February 16, 2008

Perils of Long-Distance

Do you know what it feels like to have the breathe kicked out of your body? That's exactly how I felt when they announced that my flight was delayed. Normally, a delayed flight isn't such a bad thing, but it's horrible when you have a connecting flight that just happens to be the last flight out of that state. "What are my options?" "I need to get into LA tonight." "What do I do between 11pm tonight and the first flight out at 7am tomorrow?" "You're not obligated to give me a voucher for a hotel?" "Air traffic control issues are not your fault?" "The first flight out of here is 3pm tomorrow?!" I got in a cab and cried all the way back home. My heart was broken. "Baby boi. I'm not going to be able to make it."

After speaking with Continental representatives and looking at my options online, I texted baby boi "Do not trust airlines and man to help you stay close to the ones you love." Airlines don't care that you haven't seen each other in a while. They don't care that we've been waiting for this. They don't care that this is the only 3 day weekend I have left for a while. And they definitely don't care that baby boi has been pushing himself to the limit to prepare for me all day.

One day with him is better than none, so I'm going to sit in the airport today and see if I can fly standby. Such is love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about that! I too understand how much this 3-day weekend meant, my husband was able to come home from training before he leaves for Afghan in 2 weeks. I hope you got there and enjoying whatever time you have out there in LA.

T.a.c.D said...

1 days is better than none...i am glad you went back to the airport...i hope you made it back safely

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....You're right! One day is better than none. I pray you enjoyed it!

Vickilyn said...

Yeah it was rough getting there. . .but I'm sure it made those moments together much more special!

Blu Jewel said...

that sounded so familiar to me. When I used to live in VA, I was seeing someone who lived in AL and we only saw each other on weekends. One weekend in particular, I wasn't able to leave when I wanted to thus cutting back the time we had, but I tell you that 24 but less than 36 hours we had were the best ever.

FYI, sometimes airlines can put you on another airline if they'll honor your ticket and their are seats available.

Chari said...

Awwww! Hope you got to see him!

Related Posts with Thumbnails