Thursday, January 01, 2009

Faith - Hebrews 11

In my quest for more faith, I'm reading Hebrews 11. The below is a list of scriptures and ideas that stand out to me. These are just my notes, so feel free to pass on to the next blog post.

V4 - Cain and Abel both offered sacrifices to God. But Abel offered a better sacrifice to God because he had faith. god said he was pleased with what Abel offered. And so God called him a good man because he had faith. - Sometimes it seems like people offer so little to God, and still walk away just fine. But this verse lets me know that God is looking for the best sacrifice. So forget about what others are doing and do the best I can do.

V6 - Whoever comes to God must believe that he is real and that he rewards those who sincerely try to find him. - This is the promise I want to hear! With certain issues in mind, this is when I say, "Alright God. I'ma do things your way! You said you won't leave me stranded and that I'll get a reward. Aight! BET!"

V8 - God called Abraham to travel to another place that he promised to give him. Abraham did not know where that other place was. But he obeyed God and started traveling, because he had faith. - This is how I feel. I sometimes have NO FREAKIN IDEA what God is doing and where He's taking me or what His point is. It's nice to see that Abraham had no idea either, but obeyed God anyway. I'm not alone. Lol. I can't even get in my car and go to someplace unknown without mapquest! That was a nice chunk of faith that Abraham had to wander into some dag on hot wilderness by foot cause God said so. Lol. Go 'head brother!

V13 - All these great people (Noah, Abraham, Sarah) continued living with faith until they died. They did not get the things God promised his people. But they were happy just to see those promises coming far in the future. They accepted the fact that they were like visitors and strangers here on earth. - Umm...yeah see. This is where my faith certainly is not. They had all this faith and they STILL didn't see the things they hope for?! So is that what can happen to me? I mean, I know Noah, Abraham and Sarah will be resurrected and will see the realization of everything they had faith in, but wow. To not see the effects of their sacrifice and obedience? I guess that's the ultimate manifestation of faith. Dying faithful and not getting anything in return (at least in this lifetime). I guess that's where I need to get, but man! God promised me and I want to SEE!

V24-25 - Moses chose not to enjoy the pleasures of sin that last such a short time. Instead, he chose to suffer with God's people. He did this because he had faith. - He chose to suffer. Now that's something. Who would ever CHOSE to suffer? Who would ever CHOSE to be beat and killed by the Egyptians? Who would ever CHOSE to be laughed at by other people who think you're doing too much for God? I guess it is what it is. What's the alternative? Give in?

V26 - Moses thought it was better to suffer for the Christ than to have all the treasures of Egypt. He was waiting for the reward that God would give him. - Moses must have had something in him from childhood to reject everything he could have had. The man could have had clothes, diamonds, and a big house (all the things I want - lol), but decided against it for something greater. That's what's up.

V27 - Moses continued strong as if he could see the God no one can see. - This is what I need to do. I'm sure if I pictured God standing next to me like another human being, looking right at me, I could continue strong. I ain't trying to have the most powerful being in the universe (the one who could kill me by blinking) looking at me disobey! Good point Moses!

V39, 40 - God was pleased with all of them because of their faith. But not one of them received God's great promise. God planned something better for us. He wanted to make us perfect. Of course, he wanted those great people to be made perfect too, but not before we could all enjoy that blessing together. - Did you read that last sentence?! He didn't let them see the fullfillment of their faith because he wanted all of us to see and experience faith too! Let me think about this for a second. So Abraham who almost killed his son in faith, didn't get to see God's promises before he died all so that I can experience faith? Well then I don't really see how I can walk around here and not have the faith that I'm supposed to have. That would really be messed up. God did all of that for me. =/

I gotta give Jehovah props for giving me all these examples of faithful servants who did it right. Thanks God! Now all I have to do is get them into my heart, and remember them when I'm standing at a crossroads.

Thanks T.C.!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be one of the stranger spiritual insights you've ever gotten from me, but if you want a lesson about faith. . . watch Evan Almighty.

I don't know if the title turned you off, but it's a really good lesson in how the Almighty works.

For the record though, Noah, Abraham, and Sarah did at least see the beginning of the reward for their faith. Noah stepped out on faith in preparing for the flood without evidence that it was actually coming, beyond the Almighty's word, and ended up saving his family because of it.

Abe and Sarah got the descendant to start his generations when they didn't even think it was possible.

Keep in mind the other examples in Hebrews 11 as well, The walls of Jericho (Joshua 6:1-20)falling from following the Almighty's instructions to walk in circles for seven days and then shout. Now, we have a hard time following common sense instructions from Him. Imagine being told to walk in circles for seven days and shouting for a military victory! But they did, and they saw the results. Why wouldn't they follow with all that the Almighty had gotten their people through already?

And think about Rahab (Joshua 2 and Josh 6:21-25) who had just heard of what the God of the Israelites could do, and chose to be on His side rather than her entire city's.

Then there was Gideon (Judges 7) who led a battle with 300 people against a group of folks who were as many as a swarm of locusts by the Almighty's command, and came out victorious!

We all know about David and Goliath. Time and time again, throughout the Bible, we see this trend of the Almighty rewarding those who have faith in Him and do things his way. Mind you, it's gotta be both, because David had it really good until that whole Bathsheba thing. That one mistake had a ripple effect that, I believe, even followed him to the pain he went through with Absalom. Keep in mind, Absalom was a good age by the time the Bathsheba incident happened. We don't know the details, but a parent's example of getting something ruthlessly can seriously impact the decisions of their child.

Anyway, my point is that the Almighty doesn't expect us to follow blindly. He's given plenty of support for His trustworthiness throughout history, but He knows how we are, so He's merciful to give us more and more evidence for each generation and in our own lives, so no one has an excuse. Even the disciples had seen Christ rise from the dead to strengthen their faith of what was to come. Before that, they were shaking in their boots!

It's hard to keep in mind when things look bleek, but if you let Him, the Almighty will bring this to your rememberance and it should comfort you: Trust in His judgment more than your own. Trust that He knows what will truly fulfill you, so if you're putting Him first, it will pay off.

Peace,
Kep.

"doing things His way." Nice to see someone else using that phrase. :-) Remember to go watch Evan Almighty! It will have a whole different meaning to you right now!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I was checking out an old blog entry in recapping the past year, and I think it may offer some encouragement. It's more of a testimony than anything, but take what you can from it.

http://www.xanga.com/power_responsibility/weblogpreview?nextdate=3%2f16%2f2008+15%3a36%3a10.237&direction=n

And go see Evan Almighty! I'm telling you, it'll be great!

Peace,
Kep.

Anonymous said...

Aight, so I'mma stop writing sermons on your blog comments. Lol My bad. You know how I get when it comes to the Word being involved. I'm going to stop leaving multiple comments in a row too. You were probably looking forward to three different people commenting. . . Sorry.

:-)

Peace,
Kep.

Chari said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I am working on some changes right now and it is going to take ALOT of faith!

Related Posts with Thumbnails