Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Life of a L.A. Socialite


I am exhausted. You have no idea how busy my past week and weekend have been. I've been running around trying to act like an energizer bunny, but am now severely putt-putting through the days. This battery is about to die. It's funny because I wasn't doing anything that I HAD to do per se. It was all for pleasure. I realize that I have turned into an L.A. socialite...

Let me recap last week's events for you.

Monday night after work, I was in church. That was actually a required event for me. If I'm going to run around L.A. doing things for my own entertainment, I can at least make every congregational meeting and obtain some spiritual food right? Tuesday was my one night off. I went over to my girlfriend's to watch all the American Idols she Tivo-ed for me. Still yet, I didn't get into the bed until close to midnight. Wednesday, my girlfriend and I went to an event for the Tyra Banks show. Let me describe what we partook of, because this was something extremely new for me and my girlfriend. Tyra's having a show in the near future that speaks about the effects of drugs, partying, and alcohol on young teens. If anyone's watched the show, Tyra usually has these in the field experiments so to speak that test her theories and help to form conclusions. So what we attended was a field experiment. Jenn and I were part of a "fake" party where teenage girls who didn't know the party was fake would get to party the life of a L.A. socialite. In "real" life, these girls take part in under age drinking and believe that partying is the only way to have fun. So as it was their first time to L.A., we were part of ensemble that showed them a good time. It was something like I've never seen before. Cameras and booms and photographers were around capturing shots, following everyone around... It was like MTV's "The Real World". And there I was in my little dress acting... pretending like I was having a great time at this party where empty bottles of vodka were strategically placed around the punch bowl to trick the girls into believing the punch was spiked (when it actually wasn't). It was strange. And to be honest, I began to feel bad for the girls. Every single person in this party knew what was going on but them. Anyway, I have pictures that I'll have to add later. Thursday night (after my Bible study!), the girls and I met up with a guy that we met in Vegas. Every Thursday, Garth Trinidad (a DJ) throws an event called "Choice" at the Standard Hotel. The girls have attended a few times prior but this was my first time. I usually give the excuse that it's a school night and therefore manage to stay in, but my reasoning grew tired. So that was fun. I didn't get in that night until 3:30am and had to be to work the next day by 6:30. Needless to say, I called my manager and told him that I would be late. I think I managed to sneek in 6 hours of sleep. Friday night, we had two events on our agenda. The National Black MBA Association had a professional mixer at a nice spot called Trifecta. The National Black MBA Association invited Black Women Lawyers, a black physician assocation, and a few other professional associations to the event. It was quite nice. Definitely a who-are-you, what-do-you-do, do-you-have-a-business-card type of event. It was rather impressive to see so many successful black professionals in the place. It made me proud. While on our way to our next destination, J.K., Jenn and I found some food at this Jamaican hole in the wall. Mmm... I hadn't had Jamaican food since I left NY. I think that may be our new spot. You know how hole in the wall spots do it. That's usually where the best food is! So after we scarfed our food down, we headed to Ladera Heights (the well do to black area). The weekend before, I met an attractive young man at a BBQ, who invited me and the girls out to a gathering at his friend's house. In the evite, he denoted that midnight was showtime. I was immediately intrigued by this 'midnight show' and emailed him something funny about it being a strip show. So being the curious little things that we are, we found ourselves at D.C.'s house. That was definitely the best event all week. Among some of the most warm, pretty, sincere people I've met, we drank wine, ate shrimp, and sached to a nice low-key playlist curtosey of D.C.'s ipod. At midnight, we all gathered around in the living room and sat down on pillows, couches and chairs to be bedazzled by a talented, fun, young man by the name of Trevor Wesley. (Check him out.) Candles were lit, lights were low, wine was poured... and it was just Travis and his keyboard. I loved it. That was honestly my kind of night. Ok. Moving on. I've latched on to a community service organization called C.L.I.M.B. that provides a variety of services through mentorship, educational programs, professional development seminars and workshops, community intiatives, and enrichment activities. So Saturday was C.L.I.M.B's day. After running an errund for the CEO of C.L.I.M.B., participating in a meeting, and having lunch with the CEO, I went back home for a nap... only to get up again to get ready for the professional mixer that C.L.I.M.B. was having that night. (I'm getting tired just writing about all this.) It was a beautiful day last Saturday though, so the sun suceeded in energizing me. Sunday after church and family Bible study (still not slacking on the spiritual food), I took another short nap and then ran over to Jenn's house to eat and make our way down to Leimert Park, were we saw "The Dance". If you haven't already, read my previous posts regarding "The Dance". It's now Tuesday morning, and I am officially done. I feel like I have something to do this weekend, but I can't even think about it right now. The life of a L.A. Socialite is HARD! Phew!

5 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

geesh gurl I haven't even read all of this already and I am tired for you...

T.a.c.D said...

Ok i read it...sounds like a really nice time...glad to hear you are with a group now!!!! and love the event last Friday...now that is grown up stuff right there!

jendayi said...

my weekend's are insane T. it's funny because i don't even know why i do all this when i prefer to be at home. peer pressure man... i think i'm going to disappear for a week or two. save some money at least.

T.a.c.D said...

i totally understand that it comes in cycles I think...and when you feel like you need a break...take it...mines goes for about a month of crazy and then 2-3 weeks of down time...its starting to pick up to crazy mood...but I'll be QUICK to say..."naw, I am tired, I am in the house...LOL

K.C. said...

That sounds like my kinda week. I like having something to do. I like for my days and nights to be filled. and I hate the fact that my social life (right now) has to be dictated by my professional (fake professional).

Related Posts with Thumbnails