Thursday, September 20, 2007

Financial Freedom

P.S. I support Jena 6 in my all black today!

I did an inordinate amount of shopping in the last two weeks... I mean crazy, random, out of my mind shopping. Spending beyond my means shopping. Stupid I know... So I've decided to put myself on punishment in an attempt to slow down, get my shopping addiction under control, and eliminate debt. In an attempt to regain control, I went home yesterday and went through every single Essence magazine I have to gather tips on financial freedom. (I love that magazine! Except for the stupid articles on how to get a man in bed and other 'let's-promote-pre-marital-sex' articles. Come on now Essence!) Each magazine has a section on work & wealth in which they dive into finances, careers, and homeownership. There's SO much helpful information, it's incredible. Let me educate you guys on a little bit of what I found out. Some of this you may already know, but hopefully you take as much of the info to heart as I have.

- need to make some quick cash? hit up e-bay or craigslist! i know there are some things in your house that you can sell that you've never used or can get rid of. e-bay makes their money off of fees and commissions, so if you don't want to go that route, stick with craigslist. consignment shops are a prize as well. thrift shops won't pay you for the goods you take them, but consignment shops will. as soon as your products are sold, you'll get a check! you normally you split the profits 50/50 or 60/40 with the shop, but get a contract if that's what you decide to do!

- pay yourself first! before paying bills and shopping, tuck at least 10% if your income into a savings account. (if you can't do 10%, do 5%.) automatic withdrawal works the best. build at 3 - 6 months of cash to cover living expenses in case of emergency. it would be best to separate the 10% savings from the emergency fund, but if you're just starting out, keep it as one.

- open a high-yield saving account! instead of the measly 0.05% normal interest account, visit INGdirect.com, HSBC.com, or etrade.com for 4-7% yields. and you can open these with a single $1 if that's all you have. gotta start somewhere!

- ask for lower interest rates on your bills. almost every credit bureau can appease your request. visit bcsalliance.com for talking scripts or letters that you can mail.

- STOP CHARGING! (ha.)

- get your hair and nails done at a beauty school. the costs for a wash and blowdry are half the price of your normal salon. each student is supervised by a professional so have no fear. they will do you right.

- get a money buddy. the best way to keep it all in check is to have someone who's right there next to you. start a moneyclub! visit moneyclubs.com for more information.

- put your amazon.com and blockbuster cards away and get your books and DVDs from the library!

- increase montly payments on your credit cards. never just pay the minimum. your FICO is directly correlated to your debt management!

- open a Roth IRA - another high interest yielding account. you have open with a large amount of money so if you're a little tight, go with those online internet sites I mentioned above.

- get a side hustle! and advertise your skills on craigslist. everyone has a skill that they can profit off. if you clean well, buy a mop, a broom, some sponges and some Pine Sol and clean a neighbors house for a fee. if you tend to find jobs easily, open a business to help people find their dream job. if you write well, write letters for people who can't express themselves so well. use your skills! open a business!

- BUY A HOUSE! the greatest investment you can make.

So be on your way to financial freedom people. Get your money right. Make it work for you. Don't work for it!

4 comments:

Chari said...

Thanks for the tips girl! I'm going to have to hop to it and make some of this happen!!

Ananda said...

hey sistalove. my financial advisor would be happy to read your blog. i amened to all of the things you included. i have been working with my financial advisor since 2002. five years later i am solid ground. it was painful at times because i had to deal with my money habits and emotions. money is energy... i am still working to modify my financial attitude, but it is much much better than before. i am more conscious. it helped to have a financial advisor who helped me deal with the emotional, spiritual, and financial aspects of my money... peace, ananda

Alisa Renee' said...

You inspired me with this post. I just posted three listings on craigslist... one for letter writing, one for tutoring, and one for editing. Lord knows my money could look a lot better, and this post gave me just the inspiration I needed to make it happen.

Thanks, J! (Who would've guessed that, 7 years after high school, it's STILL Mama Jen who gets me to get off my butt and get things done! LOL)

jendayi said...

@mystery - all there is to it is to DO IT!

@ananda - i can't wait until i grow up so i can afford/get a financial advisor.

@missalisa - you're welcome lady! mama jen in the house!

Related Posts with Thumbnails