Wednesday, January 02, 2008

In The Mind of Zuri

'It's not that we don't talk often,' she thought to herself. 'I don't have to talk five times a day to feel close. That's not the point. It's the fact that when we do, the conversations are empty or uncomfortable.' She sat back into the seat, ignoring the iPod blazing in her ears. 'Who wants to sit on the phone in silence or argue over something dumb during our time. If I'm going to call, I want substance. I want us to be cordial.' Zuri slumped in her office chair to ease the tension in her neck while her mind raced a mile a minute. She hates it when things are out of wack. When one thing is out of wack, everything seems to fall apart. Her body starts to hurt, her attitude suffers, and her energy drains. 'What's a girl to do?' Her entire body remained still as if she were waiting for someone to give her the answer. Instead, all she heard was Kelly Rowland say, "See what ya'll don't know about him is I can't let him go because he needs me!" Zuri chuckled under her breath as if just realizing something. 'Why does everything have to be about a man?' she questioned while Kelly sang to convince Beyonce and Michelle that they don't know her man. 'Every girl in the universe has man issues or centers their lives around what men think. They way we dress, how we style our hair, how we interact with our male friends, what our mood is for the day... Why can't women just do them without thinking about catching a man, keeping a man, attracting a man, or wanting a man?!' Instantaneously, Zuri's annoyance level escalated. Surprisingly enough, she already knew the answer to that question, but decided to surpress the response. 'Sure women say that they spend insane amounts of money on their hair and toes for themselves, but come on. You spend money on your vanity so that you feel prepared and fabulous when it's time to go out and attract or be with a man. Is that not the truth?' Zuri sat up and tapped her fingers on her desk. 'I wonder what my girlfriends would say if I brought that to the table next week.' Zuri pondered some more... 'They'd probably crucify me.' Zuri smiled as she thought of their responses. "I don't do this for a man!" "Shooo. I do this for myself!" "Girl please! I'm too fly and fabulous to worry about how I look to some man!" "F- men!" Zuri's smiled widened even more. 'I can't wait to see my girls...' Flashbacks of moments and old pictures began to scroll through Zuri's mind as she pictured all of her friends. Before she could get to the fourth friend, the sun began to shine through Zuri's eyes as she thought further about her meeting with them. The tension in her neck began to relax. In a knee jerk reaction, Zuri stopped tapping her fingers. 'I don't know what I'd do without my girlfriends. No matter what's going on in life, they always keep me alive.' Forgetting about her earlier annoyance with her boyfriend, Zuri found the energy to log onto her computer and began her work day with a smile on her face. "Happy Wednesday!" she said out loud. =)

5 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

Happy Wednesday Momma!
Keep that smile! Just keep that smile!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriends Rock!!

They help us focus.

Happy New Year!!

jendayi said...

i'm smiling!

T.a.c.D said...

oh and i meant to add that as much as we do it for OURSELVES AND MEN (i personally think its both, because we all have our own sytle, but we do like to hear that we look nice, especially from the significant other, but also our momma's all taught us we must be presentable at all times) we totally do it for each other, other women...trying to impress and stay up with all the other fly sistahs...in our own way, we love having another woman compliment us and recognize our sytle...my 2 cents since i won't be on the curse...LOL

and keep smiling!!!

jendayi said...

yes T.C.! i find that i shop and dress the way i do not only because i like the way i look, but because i want to keep up in the game. the people here at essence look incredible, and i'll be darned if i'ma walk in here a mess. feel me?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails