Sunday, September 07, 2008

Beware! Gossip Kills!


The all time entertaining show "Gossip Girl" (GG) reminds of my high school days. It's amazing how similar my school was to Constance Billiard and St. Jude's School for Boys. On 90 acres of land, my school, which boasts the Kennedy's as prior students, had it all. Squash courts, nature trails, a state of the art performing arts center, a tundra, top lacrosse and field hockey teams, preppy uniforms, elite cliques, kids with BMWs and nanny's to tote, drugs inside and out of school, spouts of mono from all the teenage tongue sharing, including whispers over our morning break muffins/poppysead bagels/croissants of who gave the worst or best head. We even had a Dan too, who was in a relationship with Brady for most of our high shool days until one day senior year when he dumped her. Imagine the gossip that spread through the hallways that week day. I can't begin to conjure up what life was like for Brady when she walked into school that morning. My high school was viscious.


Gossip seems to crawl in every corner of my life lately. Oddly enough, this inundation with it is kinda making me feel uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of gossip. I've seen what it can do to people and therefore, remained as far away from it as possible during my high school days (as hard as that was). Not all gossip is bad however. Gossip can simply be an exchange of useful information like my next door neighbor is moving out of town or Beyonce is in the studio working on her next album. Gossip is idle talk. Invariably, though, it focuses, not on things, but on the foibles, failures, triumphs, and misfortunes of people. The line between harmless and harmful gossip can be treacherously thin. The statement, ‘Beyonce is in the studio,’ can easily be followed with, ‘But she's probably going to spend a total of 2 hours cutting 15 wack songs like she did last time?’ I think that people love dishing details of another person's life that others don't seem to know because it makes them feel important. The problem with that is those "details" are usually quite unflattering.

Even though I read them, blogs (including the fictional one on GG which continually ruins people's lifes) sometimes make me feel bad for the people who are continuously smashed and ripped apart. Their characters, clothes, and actions are so severly scrutinized that they can't even live let alone step out in public. Gossip can cause such irreparable damage to the name and reputation of another person. Most people don't think about this but gossip can also backfire and damage the gossiper. Instead of winning listening ears, gossip can breed distrust. Speaking for myself only, I rarely believe people who gossip all the time (eh hem YBF and Bossip).
Considering how hard it is to keep it classy, I have to say kudos to the Concrete Loop, Brown Sista, and other media outlets alike. Much respect...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails