Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's Not About Honesty. It's About Choices.

Written by Request

We’ve been together for a little more than a year. What shocks me is that he hasn't changed. From the day I met him until today, he's still a truly divine person. Respectful, compassionate, giving, intelligent, spiritual… What I like most is that he’s a true man's man. He handles everything with dedication and care, including me. His sense of responsibility is refreshing. He always has everything under control and I've never felt more safe. I enjoy his maturity. I would be remiss not to add that he constantly seems to move mountains for me. Doing things I would never expect or ask for. He's truly a dream. But, I don't love him.

I met him about 5 months ago. We should have never had that conversation because that’s when I fell in love. He’s not like the other guys. In fact, I don’t think people actually know him like I do. When we talk, he’s different. The griminess melts away when we’re together. He just comes across wrong. It just takes the right person to reach it. He truly does have a good heart. I try to explain the warmth of his soul, but it really doesn’t matter anymore. No one has to understand it. No one but my man.

So... how do you tell your man that you’re in love with someone else?








If I could forget him I would. Please believe me. I know that I should throw the towel in, but baby it’s not that easy. You treated me so much better than him and if I was sane there would be no competition, but I’m in love with someone else. And I’m so sorry. I’m in love with another man. I know it ain’t right. You should go and find someone else who could treat you right. Give you the world. Someone who understands the man you are because baby you shine so bright and I would just dim your star. A girl who would treat you like you treat them. Boy I know there’s plenty women who would love to have a man like you but I’m in love with someone else. I’m so sorry baby.

In one word, this song is... honest. What I admire about Jazmine Sullivan’s story is that the woman in the lyrics decided to live her truth and take her freedom. At this point, it doesn't matter who the better guy is. Whether he treats her like a queen or a subject is irrelevant. Her heart belonged to someone else and she chose to follow it. Now, it seems like we're always admonished to follow our hearts, but I'm truly not feeling that advice. I’ve learned better. The heart is the most treacherous organ you have. When your heart screams one thing, but your mind says another, the best thing to do is follow your mind. Wisdom rules over emotion anyday. In the case of this story, you can DEFINITELY help who you fall in love with. You choose to spend time getting to know another. You choose to dedicate energy and attention to that person. Yes, attractions are real, however, it is well within a person's power to decide whether they will pursue that attraction or not. You always have a choice. Everyone stands at the fork in the road and has a choice. When Jazmine Sullivan's character decided to stare in the eyes of the "other man", she made her choice. So how do you get to the point where you ask yourself 'how do I tell my man that I'm in love with someone else?' You put yourself there. There's absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

Do you agree?

9 comments:

GemisMyName said...

I agree... to a point. I think we make a choice to nurture those feelings and emotions, yes, but sometimes those emotions don't GIVE you a choice because they are that darn strong. You give into heart and then your mind kicks your tail for not doing what you know is "right". I've found myself literally pissed off with myself for giving my energy but in that time when the choice was presented NO was never an option...or at least it felt that way.

Now I'm in “follow my mind” mode, partly because the choice has been made for me and at a certain point pride kicks in too...but my heart
still longs....

Deja~I~Am said...

I definitly agree. I was just having this conversation with munch yesterday. I have two ideas.
1. Wisdom RULES over emotion. Letting emotions control your life will get you caught up EVERY time. (i know)
2. Her first mistake was giving this person an opportunity. You cannot let THOUGHTS of another person fester in your mind. It's the birth of sin. Your allowing yourself to weaken by doing this and then eventually you'll slip. We got to stop being niave when saying "as long as i'm not acting on it." Cuz, in reality, that takes you one step closer.

Sorry for the blog

But maybe it's just me... said...

Wow. This is a conversation I've had so many times this year. Here's my thing...I believe that you cannot control what you feel. You can however, control what you do about how you feel. Everything past what you feel is definitely a decision.

I don't at all think you should pursue every attraction that you find yourself in (if you are in a committed relationship). However, I can't say that I'm a full proponent of 'mind over heart' decisions when it comes down to the people we choose to be with. (I'm not talking about going with your heart when it's someone who treats you bad and with disrespect.)

I've had my heart broken by a man who chose mind over heart. I've always been extremely rational - almost to a fault. But, I could not fathom marrying a man that my head told me to, but my heart screamed out against. I've seen this happen quite often in the few past years and I've also witnessed these marriages struggle from day one...with one or the other constantly thinking of the one their heart wanted.

Is it unrealistic to hope my head and heart will vote for the same guy? Sigh. I digress...I could write about this forever. (Sorry for the novel-length response!)

T.a.c.D said...

i have so much to say and then nothing at all...

its the person's choice...when the facts (when presented in full and in truth) are presented to you and you still decide to go down that path its your choice...

i definitely think its better to be wise than to be heartbroken ...seems to me that the wise women ends up the happy woman

jendayi said...

"seems to me that the wise women ends up the happy woman" HELLO! EXACTLY. You couldn't have said it any better.

Anonymous said...

This is terrible! First of all you have to be honest with yourself and if you were fullfilled with your relationship you wouldnt have room for infultration. So obviously somethings lacking. Instead of addressing whats missing or just being HONEST about the situation and say hey your a great person but not for me. Just because two people are good doesnt mean they are good together. KEEP IT REAL.

It was a wrap when she even entertained the thought and gave him the time a day.Then engaging this guy and getting emotionally involved! Wow. CHEATER! Now she has let something manifest with someone else and feels perplexed. PLEASE! Cry me a river!

That's why men think with their penis(oops) emotions as well!

Eb the Celeb said...

I love this track... but she gets eve n more real on the rest of the album... I posted it on jonesin if you want to take a listen until it comes out on tuesday... she is touching on every possible relationship woe in this one album... its genious

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you ended this entry the way you did. I was about to be maaaaaaad! Lol People tend to forget about the Almighty in these matters. Check out the latest entry in my myspace blog. I think you'll appreciate it. www.myspace.com/kepafreeman

Anyway, just checkin in to see how things've been witcha. Glad to see that wisdom is still shining through!

Peace,
Kep.

Chari said...

Hmmmm. Yep I pretty much agree.
Situations...

Related Posts with Thumbnails