Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Last Night's Dinner Discussion

SW said that I appeared distant yesterday. Did I? Maybe a little in the beginning. But I got with the program. I did my best to include myself in the association. There were a lot of discussions going on, one of them being politics. Being that I take a neutral stance, I couldn't really get too involved with that. I hate discussing politics anyway. I'm glad they didn't 'go into it' like I thought they were. We talked about relationships too, which was inevitable. The more I hear or talk about them, the more I realized how straight to the point I am about them. There is no room for the b.s. You're either my future husband or an associate. That's it. I'm not playing any games. No "we're just friends" or "we're chillin together" crap. It's in or out. And most times, it's get the heck out. You see, I don't want my heart broken again. Yes, it may come with the territory, but I'm going to avoid situations where I'm broken hearted because I was stupid. I am a no tolerance woman right about now. Absolutely no tolerance. One of the guys at dinner told the story of his roommates courtship with his current fiance'. His roommate and fiance' have known each other for a total of 7 months and been together for 6. Let me rephrase. He's been "gettin it" for 7 months and they've been official for 6 months. She's 22 years old and he just turned 28 or 29. Call me crazy but, something about that is clearly off. Did I mention that she had the wedding planned in 3 days? Umm... Well. Let me tell you this. Relationships take extremely hard work. Those two love birds don't even KNOW the meaning of hard work. They don't know the meaning of sacrifice and tears. To be hurt by the person you love the most is no joke. If they really want to get married, I suggest they go through their first few fights. You judge the longevity of a relationship on how you work through problems, not how you do when things are peachy. Those two are in a for a rude awakening. 22 years old baby girl? Oh heck no.

"Groove With You" by the Isley Brothers is on right now. I love this song. Speaking of grooving with you, a couple of people disagreed with me that men and women can't be platonic friends. I think I need to clarify my statement. It's impossible to be good platonic friends with a man who was initially interested in dating you. And to become a true friend, you probably would need to spend time with this person. Maybe talk on the phone, hang out together, etc. Well if a man told me he was interested in me and then wanted settled for second best - platonic friends - I don't think I would be skipping down the city streets all happy like with this man who clearly wants more. Who are we kidding and why are we playing with emotions here? The man wants me! And if I don't feel the same way, it's best to leave the man alone. Any man who's expressed interest in me will be kept at a safe distance. I want to be emotional available for the man who walks in my life who I deem as potential husband material. What sense would it make for me to play the game with some man I don't even want? Like I said before, no tolerance. Lol.

Work's calling my name. Have a blessed day everyone. Until next time...

6 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

EXACTLY! what sense would it make to play games...just delt with this last week...he needs love...Dude puuuuhhhhhlllleeezzzeeee...i told you from the GATE i wasn't wanting and didn't NEED a relationship, we can be cool and I mean just cool, other than that you are barking up the wrong tree...long story short, of course it got flipped on me like I was the one with the issue...NO clearly you weren't listening to me, I don't want YOU not like that...so guess what NO we can't and won't be friends and i am COOL with that because i don't want to hurt you no more than i want to be hurt...and he is a good guy, just NOT the good guy for me...

and the ability to work through a problem, however BIG or small does say something about the "love" you are in...

NO TOLERANCE

Balloon Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You totally hit it @ "I want to be emotional available for the man who walks in my life who I deem as potential husband material. What sense would it make for me to play the game with some man I don't even want? Like I said before, no tolerance. Lol."

Balloon Man said...

Hey Genie!!!
I am commenting on blogs today..."you know usually I don't this".

1st - You should consider taking a political stance even if it takes a little research. I won't lecture but just my thoughts.

2nd - Removed it if you read it earlier. I just realized something.

3rd - I have a friend that was married in May. He met is wife and married her within about 7 months and they are very happy. They are now expecting a child and moving into a bigger house. She is about 24 yrs old and he is 28. From what I see they are very happy and have no issues. I say this to say that it can and does work and I congratulate that young brother (your friend) for making a HUGE move. Just the engagement is a HUGE step alone. Shouts out to him because he could have stayed in the streets not wanting to settle down, then what would be your perspective of him.

4th - The Platonic Friend

I agree with you, it don't work.

That's it for me...now off to the next blog site to drop some comments.

jendayi said...

@bap - *nodding in agreement*

@balloon man - Man I missed you! Where you been?

1st - I understand why you say that. I do take a stand, it's just not one that you might expect. We can talk offline if you're interested in hearing more.

3rd - That's great to hear! Love and marriage is a beautiful thing! It's also a very huge step that 55% of couples seem to fail at. Prayerfully your friend is in the 45 percentile. My advice is to take your time, but hey.. if you know what you know what you know...then, follow your head (and not your heart) and I wish you all the best.

4th - Hmm... I wasn't expecting that. I'm curious as to what makes you feel that way...

Thank you for commenting my Balloon Man!

Anonymous said...

Platonic friends-I disagree. I believe men and women can be friends even if one was at one time interested in a relationship with them. I personally have many female friends who at one point had interest in me but I wasnt interested in them. We were able to maintain a relationship and cultivate lifelong friendships. Is there a double standard with this? Is it only men trying to holla at women and end up going the friend route to save face. What about the women?

Related Posts with Thumbnails