Thursday, August 16, 2007

Boulevard 3 - Raheem, Chrisette and Common

Heineken and Vibe presented the Red Star Soul Concert Series at Boulevard 3 last night. (If the series is coming to your town, definitely check it out.) The venue was absolutely fabulous! (Click here to check it out.) JennWill and I wondered why we never frequent this place. I think it just might become one of our new hang out spots. But anyway, Brandy, Derek Luke, Omar Epps and his lady Kiesha (from Total), Tichina Arnold, Malinda Williams, other celebrities, JennWill and I (along with a whole bunch of random people of course) partied the night away with performances by Raheem DeVaughn, Chrisette Michelle, and Common for free. Can you believe that? $free.99! I must admit that I wasn't going to go at first because the finals of So You Think You Can Dance were on, but JennWill laughed at me so much that I felt stupid and had to go. =) But anyway, I've never seen Common perform so I was shocked by the amount of energy and actual show that he put on. He did his joint "Testify" and actually acted out the whole thing! It was great! I have a whole new found respect for him. Not to mention that the man was/is sexy too. I can't believe he's not married!!! Anyway, here are some pics from our night.



Notice the "green". Heineken went all out. Oh and since they were giving away free Heineken's, JennWill and I had our first last night. I must say that it wasn't that bad, but if I'm going to drink beer, I prefer a Corona.



These were our lovely hosts. He's from DC and she's from NY. Forgot their names, but the chick is on BET. Oh, there was a really heavy representation of my DC peoples last night. Weird. GREAT but weird.



And here's Raheem doing his thang. He had us all singing together which was very cute.



I doubt that we had such a heavy representation of DC folk because of him, but it was nice when he went through the go-go set. It took me back...



Now this girl..! She sang the mess out of her set. Gorgeous as can be too!




I believe she was singing "If I Have My Way" here. The girl was on point.



And the highlight of the evening. I didn't even notice the Heineken's in this pic. That's perfect! lol. I must say that my photography skills are coming along. So what if I didn't intend to capture the sponsoring product!



So sweaty! And so beautiful.



You know what I loved the most about him. Not only did he connect with us, but he had fun. He smiled the whole time and just rocked with us. He had the whole room bouncing with him and reciting his lyrics. And he's crystal clear! Every single word and rhyme could be heard. No stumbling, mumbling or anything! Now that's a professional.



LOL. Okay, let me explain this. That Rich Boy song came on, which I heard for the first time last night. JennWill has been talking about this dance for a while, however neither one of us had seen it. So when the song came on, and the host was looking around for people who knew the dance to come on stage, we too were straining our necks to find someone. Lo and behold, right behind us, my friend who kept dripping water on me from his Heineken bottle (pictured above), was in full effect!! He was sooo good! lol. I almost wanted to ask him to teach me how to do it. The pose he's doing now is the "superman". It was hilarious how down and ghetto the dance is, and then all of a sudden when Rich Boy says "superman", we get this!! Lol. I wish I could see a whole room of people do this dance. So much fun!

I will miss this.. Random, unbelievable concerts in the middle of the week for free with celebrities. You know we ain't getting that in North Cacallac.

9 comments:

K.C. said...

awww man! I would have loved to be there!...its cool...we'll have our own soon. *wink*

jendayi said...

Oh yeah! Our own!! I forgot. LOL. We have to do this!!

Anonymous said...

where are the pics of you and Jenn?

jendayi said...

anon - I have pics of Jenn, but I don't think I took any pics of me. Let me look... Nope, I didn't. I forgot to get a pic of me. And I need permission to put pics of Jenn up. I'm sure that young man would have preferred me to ask his permission as well. But I don't him!

Jenn Will said...

Hello...that wasn't Rich Boy, gosh J you really need to get up on your ghetto anthems...sheesh. He was doing the Souljah Boy (I think that's how he spells it, I could be knocked over with a feather if he actually spelled it correctly). I'm fairly certain that that is the name of the dance and i'm 75% that is also the name of the artist. either way, its my new favorite thing...I could've watched him do that all night! Love it. And thanks J for not posting the photos...you know i'm in that witness protection program.

Vickilyn said...

ummmm. . .soulja boy!
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=12661
Hilarious!

jendayi said...

rich boy, soulja boy. what's the difference?!

dimplez -- ahhh! i'm going to learn the dance tonight!!! lol!! no for real. watch me.

T.a.c.D said...

how about PISSY i wasn't there! and why is that song the "jam of the week" unbelivable!

blkbutterfly said...

it looks like you all had a great time. i have volume 1 of the Red Star Sounds series and it's great. i love Common and would love'd to have seen him in concert, sweaty and everything!

and, on the low, i really like that Soulja Boy song. ssshhh... don't tell anyone. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails