Thursday, August 23, 2007

My Mom and Me

So I had one of those full-blown, yelling, crying, angry phone conversations with my mom yesterday. I had so many emotions pinned up in me that I improperly released much of it on her. I can't say that I regret any of it though. I didn't say anything disrespectful so I have nothing to regret. I was just expressing how I feel the best way I could. I've been trying to make some very hard decisions on my own lately and the feelings of lonliness, seclusion, bitterness, anger and misery that I've been feeling over the last month violently boiled over. The fact that my mom was married with children by the time she was my age makes me feel like she has no idea what's it like to be me. To be a struggling, professional, single, young woman in a foreign place without the care of someone to pick me off of the ground when all I need is a hug. It appears that I've been falling a lot lately, but oddly enough, it's not the falling that hurts. It's the feeling that I'm doing it alone, that no one understands, and that no one's there to pick me up. Sometimes when I come home from work with my bag on my shoulder, my books under my arm, my mail under my chin, my cell phone in one hand, and my keys in the other, I just want to drop to the floor. Getting down there is easy. Getting up isn't. And then to get up only to attempt at trying to 1. figure out whether I'm moving across the country before my lease is up on the 31st, 2. fix myself a meal, 3. go through my bills, 4. clean up the mess I just dropped in the middle of my floor, 5. get some spiritual food into my system, and 6. meditate on my relationship with Jehovah which I feel like is falling apart - it's no joke. And most of the time I get so overwhelmed with the first "to do" on my list that nothing else gets done. My mom had a whole different set of issues when she was my age, but she had my dad. I don't think she understands that. Having a partner in crime can lighten the load. (At least when you're newly married like she was before you start hating your partner in crime. lol) She always makes everything sound like it's so easy. But there's only so much advice that she can give me. I'm in a different fight. I do appreciate her strength though. While I wailed and even kinda blamed her for forcing me out to California against my wishes, she stayed there. For 1 hour and 22 minutes, she stayed. She calmed me down and was amazing. I think (KNOW) I have it rough, but wow... the things mom's have to do. At the end of the conversation, my mom said she was glad we talked. We talk all the time, everyday actually, but this was the first time in a long time that I've had an explosion in her face. The last time in fact was in high school when she said that I looked like a ho. lol. (Yes I was dressed inapproprately.) Oh the memories!

8 comments:

K.C. said...

I remember that. :)

jendayi said...

U do!!! When she called me a ho!!? Oh my! lol.

Vickilyn said...

Honestly when you feel like no one understands, all you can do is pray and wait on the answer.

Ms. Confessions said...

I completely understand your struggles and frustrations. I’m glad you had that conversation with your mom.

What is this thing called LIFE? Why is it so painful and hard? I suppose if everything was so easy, we’d never learn to be appreciative and thoughtful.

Just keep doing you and know you're doing just fine :)

Shai said...

It is good you have your mom to talk to. I blew up at my mom a couple of weeks ago. It was about her being irresponsible and how inconsiderate she has been to me most of my life. I was mad because in trying to help her I have gotten burned. My mom and I are not close and I am her only child. Hell, most of what I am going through she has not even found the answer. SMH. Because of how I grew up, I had to be responsible early. My mom just does not get it. I mean I have felt like the mother for SO long. I cannot go to her for counsel about life.

I hope things work out for you. I get the wanting to drop everything. I am a single parent so I had an extra thoughts and things in my head and hands everytime I get home from work. Sometimes you wanna drop down scream and see arms helping you up. Yet, you know you have to just get up and try it again later. *sighing*

Chari said...

Glad that you were able to release your anger and have someone who loves you be there, listen and still love you at the end. What a blessing. Have a great trip.

Anonymous said...

Hey, homie. You are not alone in feeling alone, homie. Lol Stuff has gone on that I'd only talk about on the phone. Nothing catastrophic, but hard hitting enough to throw me out of whack for a bit. Long story short, I can definitely relate to how you're feeling. I'm just now getting my relationship with the Almighty back on track. We should talk more, sis! I know you're looking for that relationship kind of connection right now, but maybe that's the wrong place to look. That's what I'm learning. I've wanted this so badly for so long, I haven't really been trusting in the Almighty to provide it and I haven't even seen the opportunities He's given me to at least be content while He's getting me ready for the one (who I will henceforth refer to as Nea. .. or Nia. . . female version on Neo. . . Get it? "the one?" Okay so I'm corny.)

Anyway, I really think we're going through very similar situations, with similar worries and solutions. Some of which you may have figured out, and others that I may have. Either way, give me a call when you get back from the reunion. You're not in this alone!

Peace,
Kep.

T.a.c.D said...

there is no one like momma...NO ONE! life is hard, it can definitely be hard, but you know even when you can't see things, things work out...always a light at the end of a tunnel, even if you can barely see it...there is a light

Related Posts with Thumbnails