Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sheer Dreams and Desires

Every morning, I read for about an hour before people start coming in to work. I forgot how much I love to read. Transporting myself to another land and time seems the perfect solution when things in your own life aren’t simply delicious. So today I’m reading about this woman’s experiences in Italy and it’s fabulous (while listening to the smooth sounds of Rachelle Farrell). The simple phrases and sentences she tosses around leave sweet cravings in my mouth. “Then we went to a bakery. A small, innocuous bakery hidden in a basement in a nondescript district in Rome” or “I walk past an average of about a dozen Italian men a day whom I could easily imagine in my bed. Or in theirs. Or wherever. To my taste, the men in Rome are ridiculously, hurtfully, stupidly beautiful.” Lol. I love this. ‘Stupidly beautiful’. “For the longest time I couldn’t even touch this food because it was such a masterpiece of lunch, a true expression of the art of making something out of nothing…I went and sat in a patch of sunbeam on my clean wooden floor and ate every bite of it, with my fingers, while reading my daily newspaper article in Italian. Happiness inhabited my every molecule.” Geez. Can I have some?

I think this is what I’ll do all next week. Read and eat in the sun. Transport myself to the streets and neighborhoods of Italy and then come back to the sounds of ocean and wind. Sounds nice right? I think my author goes to India next. I’ve never visited India. I can’t wait to see what that’s like. =)

Hey. You know what? Something just clicked. I don’t know a lot of things right now. I’m in the middle of some very hard decisions making this one of the hardest periods in my 24 years on earth. But what I do know is that I want to be somewhere far. I want to sit by the fountains in Paris and people watch. I want to feast my eyes on the architecture of Rome. I want to dance in the Venice sun. I just want to go away and listen to couples speak in their native tongue. I want to admire them. Experience them. I want to wander through cobblestone markets and buy a single peach that’s been kissed by the Roman sun. I want to wear a scarf around my neck and pin my hair up in a bun… Yeah. That’s what I want. If I could have anything I wanted, I’d quit today and be on a plane to Europe tomorrow. But that’s only if I could have anything I wanted… Sheer dreams and desires.

3 comments:

Chari said...

Go for it!!! Make those dreams come true!!

T.a.c.D said...

i totally totally feel you...if i could go to Africa watch the sun rise, rome to look at the art, and to central america to just listen to the people and watch them....oh how i wish i could ju go away

It is What It Is... said...

I love your blog J...

Related Posts with Thumbnails