Monday, June 21, 2010

From India to Bowie

I just read a blog by a woman on the verge of a big decision. Live in India for a 1 year assigment that she applied for or not. To me, the answer is simple. First of all, she applied. SHE applied. No one made her take an interest in the program she sought. SHE applied. Second, she listed about 25 reasons why the experience would be of a lifetime. And third, the main thing holding her back is her dog. Hmmm. I don't mean to sound hard and cold, but come on.

If I was her, the decision would be made within a millisecond. Single with a dog, acceptance from a program, and a short one-year experience in a new country... She seems set to me. In this list that I wrote a week or so ago, I mentioned that one of my biggest regrets was not going abroad. I mean, I'm okay with where my life has led me without it, but I believe that I would have done well with it too. Well... I can't say that. I don't know what would have happened if I lived overseas. I don't know where I'd be now.

I think that my lack of travel has created in me a 'talent', if you will, of seeing the beauty in the most common sites. For example, at my urging, my husband took me to the park yesterday. It was just a simple park around the corner from the house...Bowie's neighborhood pond/park...but still yet, it was probably as great-feeling as a skip in the beautiful parks of New Delhi. Well I'm not entirely sure if that's true, but I like imagining that it is. Wherever there is sun and clouds and sky, there has to be beauty.

I really enjoyed being at the park with my husband. There's nothing like it. The two of us on a blanket, me...the atypical black girl bathing in the sun, and him...the typical black man scurrying into the shade, and the musical genuis of jazz musicians and vocalists. The only thing missing was a pile of crabs or a bucket of crab meat between us. Nevertheless, I liked my glistening sun experience in God's gift of nature. Smelling the pine trees, seeing happy people, summer kissed brown skin glowing... Who can not like that?

Gosh I want to travel. Maybe I can hop on a Mediterranean cruise! Yes! That's it! That's what I want to do! OMG. I just looked up some NCL itineraries. Barcelone, Monte Carlo, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples!!!! All from $499/person! Yes! Yes! Yes!I think I just had a travel-gasm. Yes! Ok. Off to save some money!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails