Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Lesson Learned

This is unusual. I don't really have anything to say today. I think I'm going to give my entire day to work. What a concept! We have a lot going on in our department and I've been pretending like it doesn't affect me in order to avoid the stress, but I have to get going.

Oh I do have a story. So I was about to back up out of my parking space in the garage yesterday and a car comes around the corner. I stop to let them pass, but the driver signals for me to go ahead. In order to not hold that person up, I rush out of the parking spot and back up straight into a truck that's sticking out further than normal. My heart shatters and I put my car in drive and pull back into my parking spot. I watch the car that was waiting for me pass by and then take a minute to regain my composure. I look out my rear view mirror at the truck and see this HUGE dent in the bumper. At that time I think I just closed my eyes and dropped my head. I think about 10 seconds passed when I reached for my journal, tore out a piece of paper, and began writing an apology note with my contact information for the owner of the truck...

He called me about 2 hours later which felt like forever because I was so anxious and thanked me for leaving a note. He was actually surprised that I did so and thanked me for being so ethical. Then continued to tell me that the dent in his bumper was already there and I had nothing to worry about. =)

Lesson: I could have drove away without leaving that note but doing so would have killed my subconscious. I would have been paranoid that the driver who saw it happen would say something, I would have felt horrible for damaging someone else's property (even though I didn't), and I basically would have felt like the worst person on earth. What's worse is that Jehovah would have been disappointed in me, which is far worse than any other feeling I could have had. So look at where honesty got me! Look at what following Jehovah's commandments got me! Thank you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what u mean, it feels soo good when u do the right thing and it pays off. I hope ur having a better day today ;)

Ms. Confessions said...

Had you left without saying anything, rest assure KARMA would’ve been knocking at your door!


Good to see honest people still remain in this world!!!

T.a.c.D said...

You know that you are THAT type of person, a good person...just keep being true to yourself!

T.a.c.D said...

Oh and I forgot to say, that you also learned that there are still some honest people out there in the world...that guy could have easily lied and said you put the dent there...but he didn't...that is also a blessing and a lesson...true is as true does!

Related Posts with Thumbnails