Friday, January 12, 2007

My Best Friend

I'm a little melancholoy today. Maybe it's because I have to work on Monday. It could also be because my apartment looks like the bulls ran through it and I'll be cleaning it all day Saturday. Maybe it's because I just realized that I'll never be physically close to my best friend again...

We grew up together, but as soon as we started to develop into women of our own, we separated. We've been in different states for 6 years now. School and this job opportunity in California have attributed to the geographic distance. I do get to see her about 2 times a year, but it's always related to work. I usually fly home for conferences or alumni functions. During those times, we get to connect. But when I saw connect, it's not like you would normally think best friends connect. We're not chatty, we don't catch each other up on our lives per se, nor are we touchy feely. We do latch on to one another though. It's in a way that no one can see. The best way I can explain it is to say that we simply exist together.

Both of us have had our run-ins with our own sets of girlfriends from school. There's been drama with my friends and I know she's had drama with hers. The drama was all for a reason though because when we look at the friendship that we have with each other, we appreciate it that much more. I can't really speak for her, but I feel like I understand her well enough to say that both of us know that we'll NEVER have to deal with the stuff we went through with our school friends with each other. We don't go through that mess with each other. Perhaps it's because we AREN'T around each other every day. Even if we lived in the same city though, we wouldn't have that problem. We both lead very different lives and have our own programs. Neither of us cares to be all up under each other. In fact, I know she can't stand people being all up in her face, being extremely talkative, or needy. I don't really like it either though. That's what makes us so perfect.

But I wonder sometimes if I'll ever be able to drive down the street and go to her house. I wonder if she'll be close enough to babysit my children and vice versa. It would be nice to have that one day. If it is at all possible. But like I said, we're on such different routes. She's not the type of girl to have a
9-5 (see link), which means she might always be on the move until wanting to settle down and have a family. I'm the type of girl to be very settled, but who knows when I'll be back east! It's amazing how different we are, but how connected we are at the same time.

Like I mentioned earlier, we're not chatty girlfriends. We don't talk about our relationship or the emotions behind our friendship. It's funny because she's probably seeing all this for the first time right along with you guys... even though she most likely already knows all of this.

But I just wanted to say to you that you mean the world to me and I don't know what I would do without you. You've always been there for me when I needed you, particularly recently when I was nervous about a situation. I couldn't imagine my life without you. It's been over 20 years girl. We have a history that no one can touch.
It's weird though, because you're the only one I'm not emotional with. Because you know I can be so with others... But that's not us huh?

Just know that I love our relationship and I love you. Hopefully we'll only grow closer.

Sisters forever!!
(told you i was feeling emotional today!)

4 comments:

K.C. said...

You were definately on the emotional tip this day!

But, I loved it! Everything you said I have said to myself before and I really do think we'll find our way back to each other.

And if we're not in the same state...well we're just gonna have to be millionaires with our own personal jet...."I can be there in 30 minutes, girl!"

T.a.c.D said...

I think your relationship is a beautiful thing...kudos to your sisterhood...

jendayi said...

k.c. - personal jet!? dag girl. you dream BIG! hopefully what you said will be true. =)

t.c. - thanks

Blu Jewel said...

i think it's wonderful that you have that kind of relationship even if it doesn't come with all the frills and lace you might think it should. the bottom line is that ride or die friends dont always require that. all they need is to know the other is there for them no matter what.

God bless you both

Related Posts with Thumbnails