Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Name Is JAC and I'm Addicted To Beats

"This Is Why I'm Hot" is officially number 34 on the this-is-why-hip-hop-is-dead-because-all-you-need-is-a-beat-and-one-repetitive-line-with-no-added-talent-but-I-can't-help-but-like-it list.

The first time I heard it, I was disgusted.
The second time I heard it, I was mad.
The third time I heard it, I tolerated it.
The fourth time I heard it, I had no feeling.
The fifth time I heard it, I actually listened.
The sixth time I heard it, I nodded my head.
The seventh time I heard it, I bounced AND snapped my fingers.
The eighth time I heard it, I was addicted.

And it doesn't help that right before Teedra Moses came on stage last night, the DJ dropped this beat and the entire building began to sway from side to side. The lights were low, the beat was pulsating through the stereo speakers, and as if on cue, every human being in the place looked at the person next to them and said, "This is why I'm hot. This is why I'm hot. This is why. This is why. This is why I'm hot."

I'm telling you, we as a race are addicted to killer beats.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you on this one. First time I heard it I thought the beat was dope. I still don't know if there are any words to this song other than "This is Why I'm Hot!" Really, that's the only part I know. I can't even remember hearing any other part of the song.

The beat is tight! Kinda like Throw Some D's and the never-ending list of other songs with good beats and below-average to average lyrics.

Personally, I think songs like these have their place(s): at a party, in a club, or on your way to the club. They get you pumped. It's not meant for you to appreciate lyrically. It's just meant to get you siced. And it works!

jendayi said...

mikesee - see the thing is that i tried so hard not to like it. i'm embarrassed now when i start rocking to this song. i need to start just shaking my head in silence so i can accept the reality without anyone saying 'i told you so!' =)

you're right though. these songs definitely have their place. it gets crazy though when they start winning awards!

Anonymous said...

i told you so

Anonymous said...

Winning awards is taking it too far. I think that's what makes them even more detrimental to OUR people. Like that 3-6 joint was not deserving of an award just off the strength that it pretty much glorifies pimpin. But Halle won an Oscar for getting doggy'd by Billy Bob and Denzel won for being a dirty cop (though that's one of my fav movies I must admit).

So it says just a smidgeon about some of the "characters" that WE play that end up getting glorified.

Anywho, people used to shake their head at me when I said "Yeah, I like shoulder lean! Yeah, I like that Ciara 1,2 step joint! So WHAT!"

It's a difference between thinking a beat is catchy and wanting to dance and thinking that what these fools are saying on these records should be taken seriously. As an adult, you should be able to know the difference between liking a song because it's catchy and liking one because of its message. I for one, don't feel obligated to always like both, because some rap songs with great lyrics have horrendous production. Different songs have different purposes and places.

Don't feel bad JAC! LOL.

I'm rambling, what's new?

T.a.c.D said...

I feel what both of you are saying, they have the place, the club or that moment in your ride when you just need to bump some dope beats...the sad thing is, folks DO take this stuff seriously, our kids take it serioudly....man...but I won't even get into that discussion..."different songs have different purposes and places" DIG IT

Blu Jewel said...

I so can not stand that song and there is nothing that can alter that. I rarely even listen to the radio these days cause most of the so-called music is rubbish. I keep my iPod on and with me all the time. With over 4k worth of songs in there, I'm always gonna get something I like

Southern_Lady said...

I don't care how hot the beat is (it's okay), this song can kick rocks! The first time I heard the lyrics, I was like, how elementary. Uggh! I can't hate on him though, I guess...

jendayi said...

blu and southern - i wish i could take it back to how you guys feel. =(

Related Posts with Thumbnails