Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Why I Don't Cook


Do you see that? Do you see how amazingly tiny my sink is?!! I can't stand that mess man!! It already bothers me that I don't have a dishwasher after 20 years of hand-free dish washing, but this sink just puts me over the edge. I've been living in this apartment for a minute, but the longer I live here, the more enfuriated I become with this metal hole.


This is the precise reason why I don't cook. As most of you know, when you throw down in the kitchen, you tend to use a your fair share of cooking utensils, dishes and mixing bowls. For example, if I wanted to make cornbread, bake some nicely seasoned chicken breast, steam a head of broccoli, and whip up a side of wild rice, I would need the following:


1 bowl

spoon for stirring

baking pan

cutting board

knife

casserole dish

steamer

medium sized pot

(did I miss anything)


Now look at the picture above again... Go ahead. I'll wait a minute...


Do you see a problem here? Do you see my dilemma? There's no way that I could fit a casserole dish AND a medium sized pot in that sorry excuse for a sink, let alone the rest of the dirty dishes. Some might say, well why don't you just wash each dish one at a time? Hmm. That would sound like a viable option wouldn't it? Well check this out. To match the dollhouse sink, I have a dollhouse kitchen with one dollhouse-sized counter. I promise you that there is NO ROOM to maneauver those dishes the way one needs to after cooking a nice-sized meal.


But in an effort to be a big girl instead of a lazy cry baby, I sucked it up and made a nice dinner last night. When I was done, and it was time to clean the kitchen and wash the dishes, a wave of fear consumed me as the sink took on a life of its own and spit up its full contents (a plate, 1 pot, and a bowl) all over the floor. I don't know if I accidentally bumped something or what. But it wasn't a pretty sight. And I have to tell you, I was traumatized!!! =(


So what's my solution? Yep. You guessed it. DON'T COOK! Until I move and have the kitchen of my dreams, I'm done. No more cooking. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Marie Callendar dinners are it for me.


Dah well!!!

10 comments:

B.m.W said...

I thought I had it bad because I don't have a two-sided sink in my apartment, but your junk looks like something you wash babies in...premature babies.

I'll be praying you don't go crazy from overconsuption of PB&J.

jendayi said...

ha ha!! i love your analogies! pray for me B. Pray for me!

T.a.c.D said...

i must say that NOT only is the sink small but the counter top really limits you as well...so I can understand...at least your plan is NOT take out...maybe you can cook once a week or every other week make a nice meal that will last you a while...that's what I try to do...tonight...chops (lemon), rice and greens...

Ms.Honey said...

LOL...we have a nice size sink however I only cook once in a while. Marie Calendar is soooo good so you'll be fine LOL

We can live off of peanut butter and jelly can't we LOl

Daneger said...

Young, I feel bad for you right now. Seriously! That sink makes me want to cry. I couldn't have moved in...I like to cook too much.

jendayi said...

honey - Marie Callender is the BOMB!! Yes I'll survive!!!

dane - Now I know to make the kitchen a factor in my decisions. Now I know... =/

Anonymous said...

That sink does look rather small. I guess I understand why the whole "kidz gotta eat" decision isn't as easy for you as I thought it was.

I had a situation at my old apartment where the sink regurgitated and spilled onto the floor so I feel your pain. It made me hate the rental complex though, more so than the sink. Speaking of, why would they even have sinks that small put in?

I hope those Marie Callendar dinners are as good as you say.

Blu Jewel said...

i feel your pain. i have a small, though relatively functional kitchen, but i hate it. i absolutely LOVE to cook so it sucks not having all the space i want/need. things will change, so stay hopeful

Anonymous said...

Awww...I'd hate to be in your position becaue I LOVE to cook!! That is a pretty small sink though. I hope you get your dream kitchen soon!! =)

jendayi said...

I'ma work on it ya'll. I promise. My next kitchen will be on point. It's such an important room! How did I not know?

Thanks for stopping by u.b.

Related Posts with Thumbnails