Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Psych Ward

I'm saddened.

My peers and I are being bumped from our location and forced to the far end of the building. The location of our new desks are so isolated that we call it the psych ward. White walls, echoes, humming lights, no visitors... It's horrible. It's just enough to make me dislike coming to work. I haven't had that early morning feeling since I left my last job. The one where I open my eyes and suddenly wish I hadn't; wishing pain to one part of my body so that I can call in sick. It's devastating to hate your job. I'm serious when I say that the effects of this move will have mental and emotional repercussions. My manager fought it with all her might, and for that, I love her. I need to be around young, humorous, busy bodies. The Essence.com team has served as such. I really do fear that dread I used to feel, so I've decided to take action and make the most of the move. I'm not sure how to convert the psych ward into a lively hub of entertainment, but I do know that my first step will be to bring flowers into work every Monday. Different ones every week. I then will need to surround myself with as many colorful photographs and clippings as possible. I'm not sure it'll completely distract me from the large, looming, white wall on my right, but it's a start. We might have to get some posters down there. And if my director even THINKS she can come over to us and say we can't put anything on the walls, I will go off. That woman just.... ugh! Ok. Calm down J. Anyway, it's amazing how much of an effect your surroundings have on your psyche. I now suddenly understand the adverse effects that living among damaged people - even if you're not one yourself - can have on a person. Well, ladies and gentlemen. Wish me well in the psych ward. If you have any suggestions to brighten the place, let me know!

4 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

definitely the flowers, pictures, a bookshelf full of bright books always brighten up things...but posters and pictures are a MUST...i am in the back corner of my office becasue i LIKE being left alone...HA! but also bring in a little radio, not just stream music through the computer but a radio with a clock stuff you know that you would bring home...if there is a little corner for a sofa do that too...one of my co-workers got a sofa and put it in her office...so make it as home like as possible...

you got it don't get to discouraged

Anonymous said...

This is sweet, I will try to stop by once a day just to say hello and tell you some obscure story. That should make the day go by a little faster. Plus you will have IM. Lol at "that woman".

Charreah said...

What Jonte said;)

Thanks for the blog love!

I knew you were a fashion girl with all those fly dresses

Chari said...

Don't be down girl! It's just a test!

Related Posts with Thumbnails