Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Office


The morning was a little rough. I had to pull something together for my director. I wasn't hands on in creating the charts he needed so I had to try to figure out what someone else did in order to get him what he wanted. He was getting pushed by his upper management, so as you can imagine, all of that fell right on my shoulders. I hate coming in midstream and revising someone else works. It's almost if you have to reinvent the wheel because you have no idea why it was done the way it was in the first place. It can be so frustrating. But I handled it. Don't I always?

You know what I noticed? Everyone around here uses the word '
convoluted'. That's not a good sign. Things around here are never evident, plain and easy.

My desk is a mess. I have powerpoint presentations, binders, post-it notes, lose pieces of paper and Aquafina bottles everywhere. It's not as bad as it sounds, but I do need to clean it up. The good thing is that I know where everything is.

We got new printers and copiers today. They're so new and spiffy! Office equipment makes me excited. lol. Too bad no one in the office can map to them. =/ We've been without printers all day long. But I would have preferred new telephones to new printers and copiers. We're still using the beige phones with the twelve buttons on them. You remember those right? One step above a rotary phone? The ones with buttons 1 through 9 along with the star the zero and the pound sign? There's no hold button, no call waiting, no msg button, no mute... Just a regular, old, beige phone. It's sad that this company has so much money, yet they won't buy us modernized phones. They'll spend money on these huge printers and copiers but not on phones. =(

I just got bombarded again with an assignment. Luckily it was a quick one. It's a challenge working a job with such high visibility. Executives and directors call into my deparmtent every single day wanting this scenario and that chart and that explanation and that data. That's fine and all, but we have to have TIME to get these things. But there is no such thing as time. Time means RIGHT NOW. Errrrr. So much pressure. At least they're quick projects here and there and not long drawn out ones.

One more day of work and I'm off to enjoy a wonderful four day weekend. I haven't had one of those in years it seems. I'm going to soak up my four days off.

My computer won't play my CDs. Hmph. Something's wrong. I just want to listen to a little Nancy Wilson. Although, it was probably for the better that I couldn't listen to my girl. Her entire CD is about lost love, which can be a little depressing at times. It's just so beautiful though. I'm going to try this broke down computer one more time... Nope. Didn't work. I'll probably restart my computer after publishing this post.

One last office anecdote. We had a "farewell meeting" today for a lady who's leaving our group and moving laterally to the group beside us. The "farewell meeting" was nice. Kat (the lady who's leaving) asked us not to do anything for her, but one of my co-workers insisted, which I thought was rude by the way. Kat told her to please abide by her wishes, but my co-worker didn't listen. So anyway, I went to pick up Kat's cake yesterday and I swear there was more decoration on the cake than cake itself. Even my director agreed! When someone mentioned cutting the cake, he said, "There's a cake under all of that!?" It turned out that the cake was pretty good. But I felt bad for Kat because she SO didn't want any recognition. It actually made her a little uncomfortable. I don't celebrate my bday, so I'm keeping the date to myself to avoid this issue... since they clearly don't listen. Co-workers do what ever it is they want to do, when they want to do it. If there's food involved, never doubt they'll put the food first and not you.

3 comments:

It is What It Is... said...

Ok - J,

I don't have sound at work...so I'm home blogging and click on your page and hear by ex husband Bilal playing....

Girl, what you know about that brother Bilal??? lol

I've been on him for years. His stuff is the truth.

Love it!

Blu Jewel said...

u and i could sit and listen to music for days...we have such similar tastes.

i too hate when everyone uses the same word...it's like no one has a mind of their own or just thinks it sounds "cool" *ugh*

i'm fortunate to have my own desk top printer which is mapped directly to my pc.

i'm leaving early today and am off on fridays anyway, so this is gonna be a really nice long weekend for me. i hope yours is wonderful and relaxing.

Deja~I~Am said...

man, the government doesn't have off... do we?? I haven't heard anyone talking about it though.

You are absolutely right!! People LOVE office parties. We just had one yesterday for someone getting engaged.

Related Posts with Thumbnails