Monday, May 07, 2007

R&B Male Groups

Happy Monday

I saw Chico Debarge and his big brothers Tommy and James Debarge last night. That was a cool show. Chico did well, but I enjoyed when they took it back and ran through the gamlet of Debarge songs. That family is very talented. The show had me reminisce back to the days when my sister, my mom and I used to drive to work and school together when I was in elementary school. I remember listening to all the cool male groups. The Debarges, After 7, Mint Condition, and Tony Toni Tone... and then on to Hi-Five, Guy, Bell Biv DeVoe, and New Edition. That's when male R&B groups actually sang to females about meaningful things. They were smooth, sweet and respectful. Then we had the sexier groups like Shai, Jodeci, and Silk. Things aren't quite the same now. We HAD Dru Hill, 112, Jagged Edge, Blackstreet, LSG...who all sorta disappeared on us. But please tell me how we go from The Temptations, Earth, Wind, & Fire and The Isley Brothers to Immature, B2K and Pretty Ricky. Hmm...*shaking my head in sadness* What a shame. =(

In homage to the good ole' days, here's Quincy Jones' Secret Garden by Barry White, El Debarge, James Ingram and Al B Sure.

Have a great week everyone.

4 comments:

B.m.W said...

Man, I feel you like the wind in a thin sweater! I miss meaning in music, period. Case and point: I have not bought a CD since Lupe Fiasco or Corrine Baily Rae (that girl is fine).

T.a.c.D said...

I totally feel you on this one, like all the music i have been buying, its been online because its old stuff...CDs i had and lost or my brother took, whatever, just good ol music...just all around good music...there is no more soul you know...its sad...
and this song right here...Q knows he is an old...well anyways...lol

Shai said...

As time goes by, I slip more and more back to old school joints. This new stuff gives me a headache.

Ms.Honey said...

I totally feel ya I miss some Boys II Men.

Related Posts with Thumbnails