Thursday, August 31, 2006

Moving Down South

I'm thinking about moving down south. I've lived in the north (NY). I've lived in the mid east (DC). I've lived in the west (CA). So the next logical place would be down south. But where? These are my choices:

North Carolina - Raleigh, Durham
Georgia - Atlanta
Florida - Miami, Tampa

Alabama - Huntsville

I either want to live somewhere cosmopolitan or cultural and young.

The Raleigh Durham area is filled with young people simply because of the number of colleges and universities in the area. There's plenty of artistic, young-minded, zealous people in that area. Chapel Hill and Duke are two college I could see myself attending for my masters.

Atlanta is the city that I've always seen myself in, but if there's one thing about the ATL that I'm opposed, to besides the ignorant, close-minded black people (sorry, had to say it), it's the traffic! I swear, I will have road rage in a minute down there. I used to commute from Upland, CA to Long Beach, CA everyday and I thought I was going to die. So I KNOW communiting in ATL is going to have me behind bars. I have a heavy foot and I WILL cut you off so I don't do well in traffic. I want to go to Emory University though. It seems like the perfect school for me. So is Atlanta the place for me?

Miami... This is a new idea that my mom just put in my head. I'm not really a clubbin-every-weekend, celebrity-hunting person so I could care less about the reputation. I've never been to the MIA but everyone says that they could see me there. What school would I go to down there? University of Miami? I don't think Florida State and the Univ of Fl are in Miami. I don't even know if I would want to attend those schools.


There are a lot of entrepreneurial opportunities in Huntsville. For some reason, it's the next up and coming city in the south and a lot of companies are moving into the area. The real estate market is really good down there too. Unfortunately there aren't any places for me to really be a 24 year old african-american woman. Know what I mean? It's quite slow down there. I'm sure I could use that opportunity to create an environment for young ones like myself, but that's a challenge. Am I up for that? But I don't think there are any business schools down there for me.

I need help ya'll. My lease runs out in January. Am I moving or signing another six month lease? What to do!? What to do?!

7 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

Actually Huntsville isn't really all that slow...everything you can do in the "A" you can do there...my folks are from there and live there (1/5 of the Johnson clan) and they love it...and its not to far from Birmingham (a city I wouldn't move to, no work) and not to far from the "A"...the one thing about Atlanta is that just like DC you can always find a back route...

Another city in NC is Charoltte...a lot of folks love it there too...

Just my perspective...ME...Me and DC aren't really getting along...I am actually thinking about moving to B-more because the housing market is just right for the picking...who knows...

I am sure you will love the south and the south will love you...who knows we may end up in the same city...

jendayi said...

So it's B-more for you now? Is Mike talking in your ear? What happened to ATL?

Thanks for the advice!

T.a.c.D said...

A 3 level, fully renovated Row house, for only 160K is what's talking in my ear...LOL
My lease is up in March so I need to figure out what I am really going to do...the "A" is still at the top of the list though....

jendayi said...

160K!!! What?!! How many rooms?

Lawrenorder said...

I tracked over here via Day2Day. I'll chime in about NC.
If you're looking for young family types... Raleigh-Durham is it. The three cities of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) are really different, but the one thing they do have in common is a bunch of displaced northerners with 2.3 kids, a dog, and a minivan. BUT, for the state you're not going to beat the schools. Between UNC, Duke, and NCState we've got your education covered.
If you're in search of professional young folks, Charlotte is by far the way to go. Outside investors are pumping money into that place like it's going out of style. The banking industry is HUGE (2nd largest in the country), the sports bring in a lot of marketing/pr-type firms, and traffic is manageable. Housing is over priced in both areas, but there are always safe new-ish neighborhoods with a lot of options.
(All this dang construction, you're NEVER short of options).
Just a bit of additional info.

call me aja said...

hey girl, stumbled across your blog on facebook. i used to live in charlotte, and people move there everyday...chapel hill is actually a really cool town, but it's pretty dead when school is not in session.

hope things are well with you!

courtenay

jendayi said...

Thanks for the info Lauren and Courtenay. I think the Raleigh-Durham area may be the way to go initially. And perhaps Charlotte when I get out of school (if I go back to school at all =/). Thanks guys!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails