Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Favorite

Teedra Moses' Complex Simplicity is my favorite CD of all time. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to say about it, but there are no words to express what this CD is or what it has done for me.

I remember when I bought the album. I just started working and my company put me up in a hotel and gave me a rental car to help me get settled. It was a scary time, simply because I was new to the area and on my own for the very first time. I forced myself to go driving late one night so that I could get out of the hotel and become familiar with the area. For some reason, I was feeling very lost that night but the minute I found the Barnes and Nobles, I was comforted. I immediately walked to the music section and browsed through CDs for hours. Right before leaving, I came across the album you see pictured here and just looked at it. It was weird because that picture said everything that I felt. I felt like that could have been me standing there in that vast space in the middle of the night in a big city. So for the simple reason that I identified with the mood of that shot, I bought the CD. I went back to the hotel, put it in my labtop and let it play all the way through. I fell in love.

It's my no nonsense CD. The album I play from top to bottom without distraction. The CD I drive down the freeway with at night. It just has that mood. It makes me feel empowered and soft at the same time.

Teedra has a song called "Last Day" on the album where she talks about what she would do if it were her last day on earth. I was driving home last night from the movies while listening to this and I really couldn't figure out what I would do if it were MY last day on earth. I knew immediately who I would want to be with, but what I would want to do... I don't know. She mentions that she'd "spend the day with [her] angels at the beach, listening to the shore. That would be the way they'd remember [her]." That's a beautiful serene picture. One of my favorite places to be is on the beach at night. I love when the pitch dark surrounds me, yet I can feel miles and miles of open space in front of me. Another one of my favorite places is to be up high on the the tallest skyscraper overlooking city lights; kinda like Teedra's album cover. I love being close to the stars or feeling like they're existing only for me. I think that's how I want to get married. On the top of a building overlooking the city lights at night with candles intermingled around me. But anyway, I digress. What would I do if it were my last day on earth? Beats me. What would you do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would start the day with a huuuuuuuuge international breakfast in bed next to my lady. Then, I would go clean up and wear my favorite clothes, not anything I feel fly in. I'm talkin about the most comfy pair of jeans and a t-shirt that's three types of worn out. I'd ride my motorcycle till it topped out at 100 and whatever. I'd go do every trick I've ever wanted to do in a sports car. Then I'd have a quick lunch before I went skydiving. If I survived the skydiving, I'd spend the rest of the evening with my family and friends in a penthouse drinking and eating the best the world has to offer.

Anonymous said...

It's funny. . .I have no impulse or desire to go sky diving. Still, if I knew it was my last day on earth I'd probably want to try it. Man, I don't know what I'd want to do in one day. If it was my last WEEK on earth, now we're talking!

I'd go on a cruise, for two nights, get off at whatever port. Fly to Hawaii and explore it the third and fourth days. Then to Japan and China. Then. . . I'd basically do a whole bunch of time travelling and then come back to my family on the last day. See all my immediate family, Kiamsha family, and just end it. Preferably with "Stop Look n Listen" in my arms, but that would be kind of pointless. :-) I'm so morbid. Lol

Peace,
Kep.

P.S.: THROW BRAZIL ON THE LIST!!! I'd HAVE to see a Brazilliam Capoeira Roda before I die. That's when they get in a circle and do that martial art/dance thing. It's so HOT!

jendayi said...

Yeah see I thought about that. I thought about whether that stuff would be something I might consider doing but I think I just want my last day on earth to be really peaceful.

You're right Kep. To have a last WEEK on earth would be so much better. I too would travel to those places you've mentioned and more!

T.a.c.D said...

My last DAY:
Get up go over to my parents house to have a HUGE Family Breakfast...I would want EVERYONE there....

Go bungie jumping and sky diving...

Come back to my house and have ALL of my girlfriends over for a nice lunch and then let them go through my clothes, shoes, bags, and get what they want...sit and talk with them and just have a good time

Go to church for an afternoon prayer and meet with my mentors & mentees to talk about what I want to be remembered for

Go to the lawyers office and make sure everything is lined up for who gets what of my little bit of stuff...

Go to a nice seafood dinner with the one I love, ME, then to a nice happy hour to party a little bit and get my dance on...

When I felt the time was coming to an end I would go downtown sit by the water and just come to terms and be at peace with my life...and that would be that!

I agree about the last week or month then I would include some travel in there...but its not worth it to get where I want to go it would take 18 of my 24 hours...no thanks!
I'd keep it simple to J

jendayi said...

That sounds really nice T. Really nice...

Related Posts with Thumbnails